• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sole vs. Legal custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wookumus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OR
I am in the process of filing for divorce as a co-petitioner with my husband in a fairly amicable scenario. I have received prior legal advice that I would be considered the primary caregiver and likely have sole physical custody as I am home 95% with our 4 & 7yo, homeschool and arrange appointments, medical care, food, etc. As of now, my husband is agreeing to a parenting schedule which resembles what the kids currently experience as closely as possible, majority of the time with me. My legal advisors also said that I should get full legal custody but he wants joint. Since we are not interested in doing battle, is it worth pushing for sole legal custody or would joint custody be reasonable in an amicable situation with no issues of abuse, criminal background, etc. Am I losing out on significant advantages if I don't have full legal custody? Any and all advice is welcome...please be nice ;)

Last edited:

LdiJ

I am in the process of filing for divorce as a co-petitioner with my husband in a fairly amicable scenario. I have received prior legal advice that I would be considered the primary caregiver and likely have sole physical custody as I am home 95% with our 4 & 7yo, homeschool and arrange appointments, medical care, food, etc. As of now, my husband is agreeing to a parenting schedule which resembles what the kids currently experience as closely as possible, majority of the time with me. My legal advisors also said that I should get full legal custody but he wants joint. Since we are not interested in doing battle, is it worth pushing for sole legal custody or would joint custody be reasonable in an amicable situation with no issues of abuse, criminal background, etc. Am I losing out on significant advantages if I don't have full legal custody? Any and all advice is welcome...please be nice ;)
Joint legal custody (joint decision making) is very much the norm these days and you would have virtually no chance of getting full legal custody based on what you have described.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Why shouldn't dad have the same rights he had as during the marriage?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">