• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Served papers from husband's state. Confused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

user102938

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I live in Pennsylvania and our marriage occurred in Pennsylvania, however husband resides in Tennessee and has lived there for the past four years we have been separated.
I received divorce papers from him and have every intention of signing them, however where I am supposed to sign it says, "only sign in front of a notary " and has "signature of a notary public, state of Tennessee" typed. I am in Pennsylvania so obviously cannot have it notarized in Tennessee.
The divorce papers do have the box checked that says, "I live in this county and my spouse does NOT live in Tennessee." But there are three spots where I am supposed to sign in front of a Tennessee notary.
What do I do?
Can I sign in front of a notary here in Pennsylvania and simply cross out where it says Tennessee and write in Pennsylvania?
It is an uncontested divorce where we have no joint property, no children, etc.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I live in Pennsylvania and our marriage occurred in Pennsylvania, however husband resides in Tennessee and has lived there for the past four years we have been separated.
I received divorce papers from him and have every intention of signing them, however where I am supposed to sign it says, "only sign in front of a notary " and has "signature of a notary public, state of Tennessee" typed. I am in Pennsylvania so obviously cannot have it notarized in Tennessee.
The divorce papers do have the box checked that says, "I live in this county and my spouse does NOT live in Tennessee." But there are three spots where I am supposed to sign in front of a Tennessee notary.
What do I do?
Can I sign in front of a notary here in Pennsylvania and simply cross out where it says Tennessee and write in Pennsylvania?
It is an uncontested divorce where we have no joint property, no children, etc.
I wouldn't cross anything out. Sign in front of a notary and the notary will attached his/her own form.

user102938

So it isn't an issue that the papers say notary of Tennessee where I'm supposed to sign? I can just go to a notary and they'll take care of it?

user102938

I wouldn't cross anything out. Sign in front of a notary and the notary will attached his/her own form.
So it isn't an issue that the papers say notary of Tennessee where I'm supposed to sign? I can just go to a notary and they'll take care of it?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That should be fine. The forms are preprinted that way, that's all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">