• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Middle Mgmt Forcing Direct Managers to Change Employee Appraisals?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wookumus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OR
I work for a large retailer as a salaried, part-time/relief Pharmacist. Annually we have to complete a self-appraisal which is then reviewed by our direct Pharmacy manager and passed on to corporate managers. For at least 2 years, my manager has told me that he has been directed to change my appraisal to a lower status, i.e. from "above average" to "meets expectations." I have never even met these corporate managers, they have no way to determine the level of my performance other than through my direct manager's assessment! This lowered review means less or no pay increase each year. Is this legal? If not, what can I do about it? Thanks for your help!

adjusterjack

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OR
I work for a large retailer as a salaried, part-time/relief Pharmacist. Annually we have to complete a self-appraisal which is then reviewed by our direct Pharmacy manager and passed on to corporate managers. For at least 2 years, my manager has told me that he has been directed to change my appraisal to a lower status, i.e. from "above average" to "meets expectations." I have never even met these corporate managers, they have no way to determine the level of my performance other than through my direct manager's assessment! This lowered review means less or no pay increase each year. Is this legal? If not, what can I do about it? Thanks for your help!
It's legal.

There's nothing you can do about it other than seek employment elsewhere.

I used to work for an insurance company that has a whole level of absolutely useless middle management that pulled that kind of business to depress our performance levels.

I retired early when I got tired of the BS.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There are no laws anywhere in the US that directly address performance appraisals. As long as they do not violate Title VII and related laws, the employer is free to manage them any way they choose.

It is far more likely to be a budget issue than anything against you personally.

commentator

Not money, its an issue of wanting to give somebody a lower evaluation, and not, at the same time, wanting them to be angry with you for doing it. In my area, it was always blamed on someone in the higher office who "insisted" that the manager give a less than stellar evaluation. But it always was a meaningless exercise anyway as there was no money for merit based raises.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">