• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FL nurse practitioner program kicks out students then changes grading scale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jonishere5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Here is post:

Posting this for my sister...

State we are located Florida
State school is in Massachusetts

My sister is in a nurse practitioner program. Basically this school she went to she got kicked out of for failing 2 classes. The passing score was 83%. She tells me 50 to 70 percent of students failed and where in the same boat as her and got kicked out of the program. She failed by a couple percentage points each class. Anyways the following semester the school reduced the passing percentage to 79% for all classes due to so many people getting kicked out of the program. She would have passed and still been in the program if the passing percentage was at this current level.

Anyways my sister went through hell financially and emotionally due to this and had to start over from scratch. She was already a year and a half into the program and this is her dream career luckily another nurse practitioner program accepted her and quite a few other students who failed the same program and she is doing great.

My question is she spent almost 50k in tuition as well as 1.5 years in the program does she have any legal recourse?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No. Of course she doesn't. Why on earth would you think she would?

Jonishere5

IDK she just wanted me to post for her... It sounded fishy to me we don't know law that is why I posted for her.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
She flunked; she got kicked out. Nothing illegal about that. The fact that the line was drawn in a different place for a different class does not make it wrong for her to be held to the standard for HER class.

LdiJ

She flunked; she got kicked out. Nothing illegal about that. The fact that the line was drawn in a different place for a different class does not make it wrong for her to be held to the standard for HER class.
I do not necessarily disagree with you but the Department of Education has been pursuing for profit colleges that charge outrageous amounts of tuition in suspicious circumstances. They have shut some of them down by withdrawing accreditation for student loan programs. 50k for 1 1/2 years of nursing school is high enough to raise an eyebrow or two.

HRZ

A non profit can be right up there as to tuition in 20k per semester range ...for rather well paying careers in MA!

hey there are long debates about admissions standards and retention issues ....but not illegal to be liberal to admit and quick to exit if not up to institutional standard ..and not everyone would agree that lowering the standard to pass is a good idea,

SIs got a second chance...make the best of it !

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">