• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving and divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

victoria1346913

I am in the process of moving out of state. Already ended my lease and no longer have my job. I was planning to leave on June 24. I was served divorce papers today from my husband who just moved here from Arizona 2 weeks ago. I know the papers say I am not allowed to move the children out of state with out consent or a court order, but are there any rules about this. I have no where the go after the 24 and no job now. Can I get a court order to still be able to move?

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I am in the process of moving out of state. Already ended my lease and no longer have my job. I was planning to leave on June 24. I was served divorce papers today from my husband who just moved here from Arizona 2 weeks ago. I know the papers say I am not allowed to move the children out of state with out consent or a court order, but are there any rules about this. I have no where the go after the 24 and no job now. Can I get a court order to still be able to move?

Could you answer a few questions first please?

1. What is your current state, and how long have you lived there?
2. Where did Dad live previously? Are you separated?
3. What is the distance between your current state and the state you wish to move to?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Leave child with dad and move by yourself.

oliviasmom

So did your husband move to where you are to be with you and the kids now you want to move? You don't get to move the kid wherever you want. The state where the kids have resided for 6 months has jurisdiction. If your husband files in the current state you will have to return the kids to him and you may irritate the courts. Get a job and housing and get permission.

LdiJ

So did your husband move to where you are to be with you and the kids now you want to move? You don't get to move the kid wherever you want. The state where the kids have resided for 6 months has jurisdiction. If your husband files in the current state you will have to return the kids to him and you may irritate the courts. Get a job and housing and get permission.
A better response would be that if your husband files in the current state you may have to return the children to that state. You will not necessarily irritate the court in your particular scenario. After all, dad did wait until the very last freaking minute to serve you. That might irritate the judge more than you.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
A better response would be that if your husband files in the current state you may have to return the children to that state. You will not necessarily irritate the court in your particular scenario. After all, dad did wait until the very last freaking minute to serve you. That might irritate the judge more than you.
Are there posts missing from this thread? Do you know the OP personally? :confused::confused:

If she wanted to move the kids, perhaps she should have filed for divorce first and requested the proper permission to relocate said children. Perhaps she shouldn't have waited until the "very last freaking minute".

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Are there posts missing from this thread? Do you know the OP personally? :confused::confused:

If she wanted to move the kids, perhaps she should have filed for divorce first and requested the proper permission to relocate said children. Perhaps she shouldn't have waited until the "very last freaking minute".
It seems like OP is trying to prevent dad from being around the children for some reason. Seems like alienation attempted.

LdiJ

Maybe I am reading into things too much, but they appear to have been separated for a while since dad was living in AZ up until two weeks ago. Mom's plans have to have been going on for a while since it sounds like she gracefully left her job and apartment, which means she gave proper notice.

My interpretation was that dad moved to mom's state for the specific reason of attempting to prevent mom from moving, and then waited until mom no longer had a job or place to live to serve her...possibly with the hope that she would be forced to leave the children with him and move anyway.

Someone else has interpreted that mom is moving only because dad moved there. I think that is unlikely as she does not appear to be doing things in a rushed manner.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
It seems like OP is trying to prevent dad from being around the children for some reason. Seems like alienation attempted.
Do you remember when SJ would ask, "You didn't mention X or Y in your first post. Why is that?" ?

Exactly.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Maybe I am reading into things too much, but they appear to have been separated for a while since dad was living in AZ up until two weeks ago. Mom's plans have to have been going on for a while since it sounds like she gracefully left her job and apartment, which means she gave proper notice.

My interpretation was that dad moved to mom's state for the specific reason of attempting to prevent mom from moving, and then waited until mom no longer had a job or place to live to serve her...possibly with the hope that she would be forced to leave the children with him and move anyway.

Someone else has interpreted that mom is moving only because dad moved there. I think that is unlikely as she does not appear to be doing things in a rushed manner.
At least we know where the crystal ball has been hiding all these years. It wasn't rmet after all! :eek:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Really? When did dad tell mom he was moving to Mom's state? How long ago was that? Before or after mom gave notice --- and how do you know it was PROPER notice? How do you know she didn't have to buy out the lease or something of that nature or that she got a new job and quit immediately because dad was moving? She can move but she leaves the children with dad. END OF STORY.

LdiJ

Really? When did dad tell mom he was moving to Mom's state? How long ago was that? Before or after mom gave notice --- and how do you know it was PROPER notice? How do you know she didn't have to buy out the lease or something of that nature or that she got a new job and quit immediately because dad was moving? She can move but she leaves the children with dad. END OF STORY.
My interpretation is no less wild than your interpretation that mom is trying to alienate the child from dad.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">