• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife broke in the house and took everything

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Losing his job due to being depressed was a choice that he made. I cannot feel much sympathy for someone that cannot pull themselves together enough to keep their livelihood.

He is going to have to pull himself seriously together if he wants to be part of his children's lives. How long ago did his wife leave?
I agree with CTU. YOU are totally out of line. Mental illness is just as serious as physical health. Would you blame someone with cancer for not being able to pull themselves together enough to keep their livelihood? We don't agree a lot, LD, but this is beyond the pale and completely ignorant of you to state.

LdiJ

Are you serious? Words. Fail. :mad:

You have clearly never suffered from clinical depression and frankly, I'm appalled and disgusted at your statement.
As a matter of fact, yes I have. It was so bad that I had trouble leaving my house at all. However, I realized that I had to keep my job and my livelihood and could not afford to lose that. I was medicated to the gills, but I kept my job. I had a child to support.

So no, I do not have much sympathy for people who let their entire lives fall apart over a divorce.

LdiJ

I agree with CTU. YOU are totally out of line. Mental illness is just as serious as physical health. Would you blame someone with cancer for not being able to pull themselves together enough to keep their livelihood? We don't agree a lot, LD, but this is beyond the pale and completely ignorant of you to state.
I would just about bet that the OP's son has not been diagnosed with clinical depression. He has situational depression:

Situational depression is a short-term form of depression that can occur in the aftermath of various traumatic changes in your normal life, including divorce, retirement, loss of a job and the death of a relative or close friend. Doctors sometimes refer to the condition as adjustment disorder.
As you always tell the posters here, if there is no diagnosis, there is no mental illness.

anne17

She took his computer. He's 200 miles away.
Thanks, I think I have my answer. It's legal for a woman to take everything a man has owned for 20 years (including basic necessities). I definitely did not intend to overstep - and my son definitely did not do anything wrong. He was advised to call the police, but we will not do so. I do own the house where this occurred.

anne17

I would just about bet that the OP's son has not been diagnosed with clinical depression. He has situational depression:

As you always tell the posters here, if there is no diagnosis, there is no mental illness.
This is definitely situational depression. He was fine before his family was suddenly gone. They were inseparable. He is going to counseling and looking for another job.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess

I had situational depression when my husband died. I ended up staying in the psych ward for a time, because I couldn't cope. It was all I could do to get out of bed in the morning. Do you think I actually had a choice in that? No, really, do you?

As you always tell the posters here, if there is no diagnosis, there is no mental illness
You know you're wrong. I just wish you had the decency to own it.

LdiJ

Thanks, I think I have my answer. It's legal for a woman to take everything a man has owned for 20 years (including basic necessities). I definitely did not intend to overstep - and my son definitely did not do anything wrong. He was advised to call the police, but we will not do so. I do own the house where this occurred.
There truly is nothing that your son can call the police about. Her taking everything was just as legal as him keeping everything...and after all, you did say that the furniture had been given to them by her parents.

What your son needs to do now is file for divorce and custody and ask the court to order her to return the children to the home community pending any decision on custody. Had he done that immediately he would have been almost guaranteed to get that order. The fact that he has waited is not helpful, but if he gets himself in gear quickly it may not be too late.

He can also go to garage sales, thrift stores and pawn shops to get himself some basic necessities. Heck, I bet that you could find a whole bunch of stuff at your house not really being used, that you could provide to him as well. He also needs to get a new job ASAP.

If you really want to do something to help your son, then help him get an attorney.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Help your son get an attorney. That's his first avenue.

anne17

There truly is nothing that your son can call the police about. Her taking everything was just as legal as him keeping everything...and after all, you did say that the furniture had been given to them by her parents.

What your son needs to do now is file for divorce and custody and ask the court to order her to return the children to the home community pending any decision on custody. Had he done that immediately he would have been almost guaranteed to get that order. The fact that he has waited is not helpful, but if he gets himself in gear quickly it may not be too late.

He can also go to garage sales, thrift stores and pawn shops to get himself some basic necessities. Heck, I bet that you could find a whole bunch of stuff at your house not really being used, that you could provide to him as well. He also needs to get a new job ASAP.

If you really want to do something to help your son, then help him get an attorney.
I'm trying to do both of those things! I'm just very far away and have health problems that makes driving so far difficult.

adjusterjack

Thanks, I think I have my answer. It's legal for a woman to take everything a man has owned for 20 years (including basic necessities).
What you aren't understanding is that there was no CRIME. She won't get arrested, she won't get prosecuted, she won't go to prison. Though I'm sure that you would like that.

Your son does have rights to a property division (or equivalent dollar value) based on South Carolina divorce laws.

But HE will need to file for divorce and exert those rights in court.

I emphasize HE because you have no part in any of this (other than giving him emotional support and maybe money for an attorney and/or furniture). He's an adult. This is his business.

As for his "situational" depression, well, I went through it during my divorce, big time, yet I kept working and pulled myself together enough to make it to court to preserve my rights. I have to agree with those who say (or imply) that he has to "man up" and take care of business.

Just Blue

What you aren't understanding is that there was no CRIME. She won't get arrested, she won't get prosecuted, she won't go to prison. Though I'm sure that you would like that.

Your son does have rights to a property division (or equivalent dollar value) based on South Carolina divorce laws.

But HE will need to file for divorce and exert those rights in court.

I emphasize HE because you have no part in any of this (other than giving him emotional support and maybe money for an attorney and/or furniture). He's an adult. This is his business.

As for his "situational" depression, well, I went through it during my divorce, big time, yet I kept working and pulled myself together enough to make it to court to preserve my rights. I have to agree with those who say (or imply) that he has to "man up" and take care of business.
OP's son seems, based on posting history, to be a momma's boy. I can say that if either of my children found out I posted their legal issues on the net they would be PO'ed. Not that my kiddo's HAVE legal issues...Cause their adults and know how to deal with life. (even the 15 year old);)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">