• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandonment and Purgery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sheylyn68

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa
My husband left the marital home without my consent or knowledge he wasnt planning on coming back on May 7, 2017. We lived together for a year then married on May 12, 2016.
On May 8 he closed the checking account (not joint but both of us were depositing money into it as well as paying household bills electronically from it) and filed for a protective order for relief of domestic abuse which was denied) on may 9 the electricity was disconnected (account in his name) I recieved a bill from the city utilities a week later to find out he transferred it into my name withoit my knowledge. He closed credit card accounts as well one was closed on May 1 before he left. On may 10 I filed for a protective order for relief from domestic abuse and it was granted. He has a history of binge drinking and has been in trouble with the law due to this alcohol abuse. There is also a gistory of un reported domestic abuse but only happened when he was drunk.
He had quit drinking for a few months and on strated again the last part of April. May 5 he assaulted me which left multiple bruises and after he left I tried to report it but police pretty much dismissed it by commenting the bruises could have come from anywhere so I was discouraged from making a report.
My husband also changed his mailing address the following week. The notification came in the mail so thats how I found out.
When the protective order hearing was set he filed a motion to consent to the order without appearing and it was granted.
Prior to his leaving he verbally abused and debased me as well as withheld intimacy and told me several times repeatedly to leave.
I am currently residing in the house with his name only on the mortgage.
When he closed the checking account(I have the final bank statement in my possession) there was over $2000.00 in it including what was left of our joint tax return. On June 13 I was served petition for dissolution papers. He filed. He applied to defer filing fees which was granted. He left with all the money and I have been a homemaker throughout our Entire relationship but provided paid daycare for my grandson so I contributed that into the account.
When he filed for fee deferment he stated he had only 500.00 in his account at that time and listed his expenses. As I said the deferment was granted. On his financial affidavit he also stated he only had 500.00 in the account. He only listed an avcount number but no bank name. Listed his mothers address as his but stated he paid 360 for rent. It is just aboit what the mortgage payment is on the marital home.. He also listed his income approx. 200.00 less than what his paystubs show. I have 2yrs of them filed here up until his departure.
I cant afford an attorney and legal aid isnt helping at all until a hearing is established. I asked for concilliation in my answer which was granted (60days) but since the protective order is in place we are unable to communicate at all. Also when he filled put the divorce paperwork he listed the protective order case number as the divorce case number so I was confused as to what I needed to file in response. A legal aid rep told me to go ahead and file my answer anyway so I did with a fully disclosed financial affidavit. The last papers he filed was for relief asking for the house Without having to file an affidavit of his finances. Nothing has been filed since by the coirts or him. I Know he lied and is being evasive avout his finances. He has a full time job making over 13.00 per hour and right before he left he told me he had to leave for work earlier du to mandatory overtime.
What do I need to do or file to the courts to prove he prgered himself about his finances and that he has been dissapating and hiding marital assets?
I am having dire financial distress and all my income combined is less than what the debt amount is each month. I am currently being treated for Sever Anxiety and PTSD so my options for employment at this time are none and meanwhile the mortgage is two months behind. Gis name is on it and I am afraid they will forclose before Any of this is settled, and at this point I have No Clue what I can do about this.

Last edited:

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa
My husband left the marital home without my consent or knowledge he wasnt planning on coming back on May 7, 2017. We lived together for a year then married on May 12, 2016.
On May 8 he closed the checking account (not joint but both of us were depositing money into it as well as paying household bills electronically from it) and filed for a protective order for relief of domestic abuse which was denied) on may 9 the electricity was disconnected (account in his name) I recieved a bill from the city utilities a week later to find out he transferred it into my name withoit my knowledge. He closed credit card accounts as well one was closed on May 1 before he left. On may 10 I filed for a protective order for relief from domestic abuse and it was granted. He has a history of binge drinking and has been in trouble with the law due to this alcohol abuse. There is also a gistory of un reported domestic abuse but only happened when he was drunk.
He had quit drinking for a few months and on strated again the last part of April. May 5 he assaulted me which left multiple bruises and after he left I tried to report it but police pretty much dismissed it by commenting the bruises could have come from anywhere so I was discouraged from making a report.
My husband also changed his mailing address the following week. The notification came in the mail so thats how I found out.
When the protective order hearing was set he filed a motion to consent to the order without appearing and it was granted.
Prior to his leaving he verbally abused and debased me as well as withheld intimacy and told me several times repeatedly to leave.
I am currently residing in the house with his name only on the mortgage.
When he closed the checking account(I have the final bank statement in my possession) there was over $2000.00 in it including what was left of our joint tax return. On June 13 I was served petition for dissolution papers. He filed. He applied to defer filing fees which was granted. He left with all the money and I have been a homemaker throughout our Entire relationship but provided paid daycare for my grandson so I contributed that into the account.
When he filed for fee deferment he stated he had only 500.00 in his account at that time and listed his expenses. As I said the deferment was granted. On his financial affidavit he also stated he only had 500.00 in the account. He only listed an avcount number but no bank name. Listed his mothers address as his but stated he paid 360 for rent. It is just aboit what the mortgage payment is on the marital home.. He also listed his income approx. 200.00 less than what his paystubs show. I have 2yrs of them filed here up until his departure.
I cant afford an attorney and legal aid isnt helping at all until a hearing is established. I asked for concilliation in my answer which was granted (60days) but since the protective order is in place we are unable to communicate at all. Also when he filled put the divorce paperwork he listed the protective order case number as the divorce case number so I was confused as to what I needed to file in response. A legal aid rep told me to go ahead and file my answer anyway so I did with a fully disclosed financial affidavit. The last papers he filed was for relief asking for the house Without having to file an affidavit of his finances. Nothing has been filed since by the coirts or him. I Know he lied and is being evasive avout his finances. He has a full time job making over 13.00 per hour and right before he left he told me he had to leave for work earlier du to mandatory overtime.
What do I need to do or file to the courts to prove he prgered himself about his finances and that he has been dissapating and hiding marital assets?
I am having dire financial distress and all my income combined is less than what the debt amount is each month. I am currently being treated for Sever Anxiety and PTSD so my options for employment at this time are none and meanwhile the mortgage is two months behind. Gis name is on it and I am afraid they will forclose before Any of this is settled, and at this point I have No Clue what I can do about this.
Do you have any friends or relatives who can loan you some money for you to see an attorney? A message board can't walk you step by step through the process and honestly, it sounds like you do need an attorney.

In the meantime, start reading: http://www.iowacourts.gov/wfdata/files/FamilyLaw/Divorcewokids/GuideFINALwithEDMSnokids122313.pdf

Sheylyn68

No I do not have anyone to lend me money for an attorney. This was my last effort to find some sort of help for situation. I tried calling legal aid but they only want me to notify them if there is a hearing scheduled. By then it will be too late. Thank you for your input on this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">