• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to Divorce separated wife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whyAB-

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

Ok so I am trying to divorce from my wife, as she was adulterous and initially actually demanded the separation. (In other words, she said she wanted to break up and then I found out our entire 8 year relationship she slept with all my homies and their families basically.) We have been separated for 2 years now, I've met a wonderful woman who I want to make a life with but I haven't divorced my ex yet, and we (Me and my wonderful partner) want to build a real family together. Now I have not paid a single bill or bought her even a beer since we separated, she has been living with her own boyfriend and I have no debts with her, kids or own a house together. Will I still have to pay spousal support or any of the like besides the fees to officially be done with her?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

Ok so I am trying to divorce from my wife, as she was adulterous and initially actually demanded the separation. (In other words, she said she wanted to break up and then I found out our entire 8 year relationship she slept with all my homies and their families basically.) We have been separated for 2 years now, I've met a wonderful woman who I want to make a life with but I haven't divorced my ex yet, and we (Me and my wonderful partner) want to build a real family together. Now I have not paid a single bill or bought her even a beer since we separated, she has been living with her own boyfriend and I have no debts with her, kids or own a house together. Will I still have to pay spousal support or any of the like besides the fees to officially be done with her?
Why do you assume that spousal support would be an issue at all?

whyAB-

Why do you assume that spousal support would be an issue at all?
Because I live in california, I'm finally in a middle financial braket and in our entire relationship when we were together, she had certain luxuries like mani-pedis every week at the salon, anything she wanted she was given if she asked and quite a few times behind my back. When we divorce, I don't want to have to give her any more of my time or money ever again and I was hoping since we've been separated for so long, the law wouldn't see me as her financial support.

whyAB-

Isn't 8 + 2 = 10?

Would this be... a "marriage of long duration"?

I suggest you stop procrastinating.
Yes it's been a total of 10 years together as a whole, we got married after being together for 5 years, 3 years later she wanted to separate and I have proof from friends that she was adulterous with photos and videos. It's been 2 years now, I just haven't had the time or money to get it done but now that I am actually able to get ahead of my bills AND a job that will be alright with me taking a day off to handle this, I want to make sure she can't corner me into having to pay alimony or spousal support. We have no kids, no cars, or property between us, and I never allowed a credit card to be put in my name. I want this to be as clean of a break as possible and be done with her.

Last edited:

adjusterjack

Jeez, go ahead and do it.

Nobody here has a crystal ball.

There's no way of predicting anything though alimony is unlikely.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Yes it's been a total of 10 years together as a whole, we got married after being together for 5 years, 3 years later she wanted to separate and I have proof from friends that she was adulterous with photos and videos. It's been 2 years now, I just haven't had the time or money to get it done but now that I am actually able to get ahead of my bills AND a job that will be alright with me taking a day off to handle this, I want to make sure she can't corner me into having to pay alimony or spousal support. We have no kids, no cars, or property between us, and I never allowed a credit card to be put in my name. I want this to be as clean of a break as possible and be done with her.
The years you've been married are what actually count.

This is a short marriage, well under 10 years, so alimony is far less likely.

Just pull off the bandaid and get divorced. It's worth it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">