• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happend to my car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tuanntrang

Hey Guys,

Just a question, if i'm getting divorce in texas without children what happen to my car?

I'm thinking about trading a car i got that i bought before marriage and i want to financial the rest, in the mean time waiting for the divorce. Who keep the car when the divorce is final?

heinz57

Not a lawyer or experienced divorcee here but common sense says, if you owe the other side any money for settlement as the judge declared, your car might be considered an asset that can be liquidated to cover your dues.

LdiJ

Hey Guys,

Just a question, if i'm getting divorce in texas without children what happen to my car?

I'm thinking about trading a car i got that i bought before marriage and i want to financial the rest, in the mean time waiting for the divorce. Who keep the car when the divorce is final?
Since you are using premarital property for the down payment on the car it would be your separate property. The only equity in it would be premarital equity. However, if it is still running ok it really would be better to wait and do the trade in after the divorce is final.

latigo

Hey Guys,

Do not trade in your present car until the divorce is final. Even if you have to walk, don't do it.

In order for you "to keep the car" the decree dissolving the marriage must expressly confirm that it is your sole and separate property free of any right, title, claim or equity in your then to be ex spouse. Once you are divorced you can do with the car as you please.

Patrickmiller

Well according to Texas laws. All property, including cars, that are purchased after marriage date and before a divorce or separation is considered to be jointly owned or community property, and will be divided 50-50 or evenly in a divorce. The person who owns the car after the divorce will have to pay half of its worth amount to the other one.

LdiJ

Hey Guys,

Wait until the divorce is final to trade in the car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">