• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Never married, his kids still live in my house, he moved out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WH78

What is the next step

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
We were together almost 7 years I bought a house in my name. Our family lived together. I broke off the relationship he moved out in May then met his new girlfriend and alittle over a month they have a place that they are renting but one issue is. His kids are still living in my house 16 and 21 yr old. Most of all his belongings are still here. I changed the locks on my house a few days ago and he told me I couldn't do it because it was illegal and that he still hold residency in my home and so does his kids. Please help I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. He keeps telling me this weekend he will move his things and kids out then so on so forth and it's been going on for a month. Myself and my children just want peace in our home. Not walk around on egg shells cause his kids are still here.

HRZ

There is a question in there? How old are his kids ?

Odds are his kids are your tenants , like it or not, and tenants have a pile of rights . ANd you best bone up on tenant eviction steps and follow them to a T and rather promptly .

OR assuming we are not talking about minors, you might offer big roll of $20 s for keys as they go out the door and a written mutual surrender ...and let nobody back in for anything...not even bathroom

HRZ

I missed your earlier post ..he is likely your tenant and you best NOT lock him out ...jawbone him with sugar to get out and give you back the keys...ideally a written mutual surrender...but voluntary surrender of keys is critical. BUt it is critical his kids leave at same time and surrender keys or sign a surrender ....

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Start the eviction process on the ex and the adult child.

The 16 year old should be with whoever has custody, namely him.

It sounds like he has effectively abandoned the 16 year old. Is the other parent available?

justalayman

The ex is arguably no longer a tenant unless he pays some sort of compensation still.

The children are tenants. The older one (the adult child); give proper notice per your state's law to terminate the tenancy. If he fails to leave by the end of the time, file for eviction.
The younger one; contact cps and report the father has abandoned his child and you, not being the mother, want him gone.

If for some reason they won't remove the child, head to family court and file for child support. The father is liable for supporting his child. There is no reason you should shoulder it alone. I would suspect one of those two actions will get the father to take the child out of your house.

If the guy wants to continue to argue he has tenants rights, tell him his new monthly rent (which begins as soon as the law regarding prior notice allows) is somewhere high enough to pay your mortgage as well taxes utilities and enough for you to eat out at Ruth's Chris restaurant once a week.

Then in conjunction with the written notice of the rent increase give him a legally proper notice of termination of tenancy. If the rent due date comes before the termination date, if he doesn't pay, give a proper notice to pay or quit.

Then if all his stuff isn't out by the end of the termination date, file to evict.

Make sure all noticdes comply with the legal requirements both in form and time and means of delivery.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">