• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulment in Pa, live in Nj

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tink3535

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
We married in PA, I live in Nj. We married due to immigration in November 2016. I am a travel nurse and we left for my assignment in December 2016. He left the country in March. I wasn't of sound mind to marry him and we never consummated the marriage. I was tricked into getting married and wrote this to the immigration dept. where do I file for an annulment? I don't know where or what country he is in currently. Thank you.. I am heading to pa today to city hall to see what can be done.
Any advice will help.
Thank you!!

FlyingRon

Pennsylvania will allow neither a divorce nor an annulment if you are not residing there. You'll have to file in NJ. Failure to consummate isn't grounds for annulment. You may be able to argue that the immigration fraud is grounds or that you didn't have proper mental capacity to understand, but you should definitely consult an ATTORNEY to avoid getting yourself in further legal trouble. You've already admitted to coommitting crimes. You're going to have to have his assistance in dealing with the fact you apparently don't have the ability to notify the husband.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
We married in PA, I live in Nj. We married due to immigration in November 2016. I am a travel nurse and we left for my assignment in December 2016. He left the country in March. I wasn't of sound mind to marry him and we never consummated the marriage. I was tricked into getting married and wrote this to the immigration dept. where do I file for an annulment? I don't know where or what country he is in currently. Thank you.. I am heading to pa today to city hall to see what can be done.
Any advice will help.
Thank you!!
You weren't of sound mind but you are a travel nurse? How much do you want to continue being a nurse?

Tink3535

Ohiogal

You weren't of sound mind but you are a travel nurse? How much do you want to continue being a nurse?
At the time I was out of work on short tern disability and was on medications that altered my level. When I was able to get off the Medes I was able to return to work. It was during that time we got married. It has nothing to do with my sound mind after I became more aware of what he had done to me and my life. With that explained I hope it's more clear. I'm of sound mind now just not when we met and got married.

Tink3535

Pennsylvania will allow neither a divorce nor an annulment if you are not residing there. You'll have to file in NJ. Failure to consummate isn't grounds for annulment. You may be able to argue that the immigration fraud is grounds or that you didn't have proper mental capacity to understand, but you should definitely consult an ATTORNEY to avoid getting yourself in further legal trouble. You've already admitted to coommitting crimes. You're going to have to have his assistance in dealing with the fact you apparently don't have the ability to notify the husband.
Thank you for the advice! I need to go to city hall to see if the papers were filed from the notary as we never received an official copy. So I have to file in NJ to Pa or just file NJ courts and divorce in Nj?

xylene

Your situation is not a do it yourself project and you need an attorney.

You could incriminate yourself. You're defense of 'I was mentally out of it but I'm fine now' is not something you can just assert.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
At the time I was out of work on short tern disability and was on medications that altered my level. When I was able to get off the Medes I was able to return to work. It was during that time we got married. It has nothing to do with my sound mind after I became more aware of what he had done to me and my life. With that explained I hope it's more clear. I'm of sound mind now just not when we met and got married.
You better be able to prove that the medications made you of unsound mind and that that is documented.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Your situation is not a do it yourself project and you need an attorney.

You could incriminate yourself. You're defense of 'I was mentally out of it but I'm fine now' is not something you can just assert.
Yeah, this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">