• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce Florida or Washington state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jonishere5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My wife and I are considering a divorce however we are moving in 2 months to Washington state we currently reside in florida.

She just had a lupus diagnosis and is in school.

I am a professional making 100k a year she may drop out of school soon due to health issues.

We have been married for 5 years.

Debt I have 500k in student loans she has 100k

Due to my student loan debt I am worried about alimony, my question is should I proceed with divorce proceedings in wa state or FL? Which state would I be less likely to pay alimony?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My wife and I are considering a divorce however we are moving in 2 months to Washington state we currently reside in florida.

She just had a lupus diagnosis and is in school.

I am a professional making 100k a year she may drop out of school soon due to health issues.

We have been married for 5 years.

Debt I have 500k in student loans she has 100k

Due to my student loan debt I am worried about alimony, my question is should I proceed with divorce proceedings in wa state or FL? Which state would I be less likely to pay alimony?
Did you really mean 500k in student loan debt? How can you have that much debt and only make 100k a year?

You have a spouse with a serious health condition who may not be able to even finish school, let alone work to support herself. It doesn't matter what state you divorce in, the possibility of alimony exists.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You would need to reside in WA for at least 90 days before filing. But, I agree w/LDi - you'll likely be paying SS regardless.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Did you really mean 500k in student loan debt? How can you have that much debt and only make 100k a year?

You have a spouse with a serious health condition who may not be able to even finish school, let alone work to support herself. It doesn't matter what state you divorce in, the possibility of alimony exists.
Med school. Law school. Various other professions can saddle someone with debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">