• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex wife and lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jesrene890

Is my ex wife right about her lawyer
Me and my ex wife have been separated for two years. She went to a lawyer and said they have a draft and I have to pay 200 some dollars to be able to get a copy of this draft. I called today and her lawyer was in court so I didn't get to speak to him but they called her and she called me cussing me out because I tried to contact him to see if I could get a copy of the papers. She told me I am not allowed to get a copy of them unless I give her money to pay him. She is also trying to put in the papers that my current girlfriend is not allowed to be around mine and my ex wife 10 year old daughter. My questions are can she control who I have around my daughter she tells me now if she's around I will not be allowed to get my daughter anymore. Also with the lawyer thing and the draft without me basically paying half for her lawyer can I get a copy of the paperwork.

HRZ

YOu are nuts to pay her to see stuff her lawyer drafted....her lawyer works for her and NOT for you.

SHe can put in anything she wants....but what the court approves / orders may be something else .

You would be far smarter to pay for your own separate counsel ....absent same your outcome is under her big dark cloud ..

quincy

Me and my ex wife have been separated for two years. She went to a lawyer and said they have a draft and I have to pay 200 some dollars to be able to get a copy of this draft. I called today and her lawyer was in court so I didn't get to speak to him but they called her and she called me cussing me out because I tried to contact him to see if I could get a copy of the papers. She told me I am not allowed to get a copy of them unless I give her money to pay him. She is also trying to put in the papers that my current girlfriend is not allowed to be around mine and my ex wife 10 year old daughter. My questions are can she control who I have around my daughter she tells me now if she's around I will not be allowed to get my daughter anymore. Also with the lawyer thing and the draft without me basically paying half for her lawyer can I get a copy of the paperwork.
What is the name of your state?

You do not have to pay for the separation/divorce papers. Your wife's attorney will give you a copy.

If your ex-wife has an attorney, you would be smart to have one too, to represent your best interests.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state?

You do not have to pay for the separation/divorce papers. Your wife's attorney will give you a copy.

If your ex-wife has an attorney, you would be smart to have one too, to represent your best interests.
Your wife's attorney will give you a copy IF they actually file the paperwork with the court. Until then it just a rough draft.

Jesrene890

My state

My state is NC I'm not going to give her or her lawyer a dime I was just wondering how to go about getting a copy of the draft her lawyer has. Do I have to get a lawyer to get a copy or can I ask him myself.

Jesrene890

My wife says it's just a rough draft right now I'm just wondering how do I go about getting a copy of it. I know in them she's trying to say my girlfriend can't be around our daughter 2 years ago she got a no contact order saying my girlfriend threatened her when she didn't but she was jealous and falsely accused her. the court gave it to her and said she couldn't be around her but they only last a year according to NC laws. If I bring my daughter around her now and she doesn't let me get my daughter anymore what can I do about that?

LdiJ

Just because a lawyer draws up a rough draft of some paperwork doesn't mean that it has any importance to you whatsoever. It doesn't begin to start mattering until its file with the court, and even then its not critical until or unless a court signs off on it. Once its file with a court the lawyer will be required to provide you a copy of it, for free. You will then have the opportunity to either agree with what it says, or to reply and disagree in whole or in part.

Also, she is not your ex wife if you are not divorced. She is still your wife.

Jesrene890

Theres no court order but when I get my daughter my wife tells me I can't got out of my county with her or take her to my house I basically can ride around with her and take her shopping my daughter is 10 and If I don't comply with what ever ridiculous rule she has I am threatened with not being about to see my daughter.

Jesrene890

So my best bet is to get a lawyer myself and have him or her file the papers because my wife is telling me as soon as I pay her money for it she will have her lawyer file a final paper.

LdiJ

So my best bet is to get a lawyer myself and have him or her file the papers because my wife is telling me as soon as I pay her money for it she will have her lawyer file a final paper.
Well, I agree that it's best that you have your own attorney. Your own attorney can then explain to you how it actually works.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My wife says it's just a rough draft right now I'm just wondering how do I go about getting a copy of it. I know in them she's trying to say my girlfriend can't be around our daughter 2 years ago she got a no contact order saying my girlfriend threatened her when she didn't but she was jealous and falsely accused her. the court gave it to her and said she couldn't be around her but they only last a year according to NC laws. If I bring my daughter around her now and she doesn't let me get my daughter anymore what can I do about that?
You are NOT going to get work product. You are NEVER going to get work product. You need to file for divorce yourself and request temporary custody/visitation orders. And North Carolina still has alienation of affection laws so your girlfriend can be sued since you are STILL married and nothing is filed.

Jesrene890

My wife is the one who left after having two different affairs, which I have proof of. North Carolina I've already found out from a lawyer is a no fault state. Plus me and my girlfriend were not together until there was separation papers signed and notorized. She can't get her for anything seeing as she is the one who left and abandoned our marriage.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
What is this mystery document that the attorney has written a draft of?

How did you even find out about it?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Why is it so important for the child to spend time with her parents' (note the plural) playmates?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">