• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney dropped me during litigation,now he put a lein

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ccorbin

Florida My personal injury attorney dropped me during litigation, I settled my case with Geico but there's a lein on my settlement check. It's has my name and the attorney. Can he do that. I was dropped after 2 years because he claims I was a difficult client.

quincy

Florida My personal injury attorney dropped me during litigation, I settled my case with Geico but there's a lein on my settlement check. It's has my name and the attorney. Can he do that. I was dropped after 2 years because he claims I was a difficult client.
Yes, an attorney can "drop" a client and withdraw from a case.

quincy

Most attorney contracts in personal injury cases are contingency fee agreements.

If the attorney worked for two years on a case, helping to reach a settlement with Geico, the attorney is no doubt entitled to a percentage of the amount received in the settlement.

latigo

Yes, attorney are entitled to what is known as a charging lien against the settlement check. (See: Sinclair et al. vs. Baucom, 428 So. 2d 1383, 1385 (Fla. 1983). And Geico is not about to ignore the lien. Otherwise it would be responsible to the attorney.

If you wish to challenge, I suggest that you call the number below for information on the Florida Bar's Fee Arbitration Program:

THE FLORIDA BAR
651 East Jefferson Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-2300
(850) 561-5719.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes, attorney are entitled to what is known as a charging lien against the settlement check. (See: Sinclair et al. vs. Baucom, 428 So. 2d 1383, 1385 (Fla. 1983). And Geico is not about to ignore the lien. Otherwise it would be responsible to the attorney.

If you wish to challenge, I suggest that you call the number below for information on the Florida Bar's Fee Arbitration Program:

THE FLORIDA BAR
651 East Jefferson Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-2300
(850) 561-5719.
Yes, this. And I do NOT always agree to Latigo so if you want to make that argument, don't waste your time.

quincy

Many people are surprised to learn that they are responsible for paying an attorney who has worked on their case even after the attorney has withdrawn, been dismissed or fired from a case and even when the first attorney has been replaced by another - making the client obligated to paying two attorneys.

PayrollHRGuy

Think of it this way Ccorbin. If I hire you to come in and make widgets and you work for a week and I fire and replace you I would still have to pay you for the week you made widgets. Even if they were bad widgets that I couldn't sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">