• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Papers served

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alb2554

Hello,
I'm in NY state, and my parents have a unique situation. Approximately 4 years ago, my mom served my dad divorce papers. However, they have done absolutely nothing about the process until now - aka they're only just starting to hire lawyers, go to court, etc 4 years later. Throughout their marriage, my father worked and earned the money while my mother was primarily a stay-at-home mom. During these 4 years my dad continued to work and made a lot of money. He's convinced that the clock stopped when the papers were served, meaning that anything made before that point should be divided up between them and anything made after that point should be his. My mom is convinced that every penny is fair game. So, my question is, which is it? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello,
I'm in NY state, and my parents have a unique situation. Approximately 4 years ago, my mom served my dad divorce papers. However, they have done absolutely nothing about the process until now - aka they're only just starting to hire lawyers, go to court, etc 4 years later. Throughout their marriage, my father worked and earned the money while my mother was primarily a stay-at-home mom. During these 4 years my dad continued to work and made a lot of money. He's convinced that the clock stopped when the papers were served, meaning that anything made before that point should be divided up between them and anything made after that point should be his. My mom is convinced that every penny is fair game. So, my question is, which is it? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Both of your parents have attorneys, they should be asking these questions of their attorneys. They certainly should not be asking their child about this. Don't get in the middle. Politely tell them that this really is none of your business.

Just Blue

Hello,
Why are you getting so involved in the divorce? And why are you posting about it on the net?

HRZ

AT least one parent is going to be unhappy after both get big legal bills .....and you would be a lot smarter NOT to venture in? ( and the final answer might be neither of the ones you post )!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
...my mom served my dad divorce papers...
Just what does that mean exactly? Were the "papers" filed with a court?

If that is the case then much of what occurs is based upon the "date of commencement", but even that can get complicated if their accounts remained joint, etc.

I agree with the others - your parents have attorneys and they should be speaking to their respective attorneys. You should really mind your own business.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">