• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Monetary gifts when separated Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Blyboy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
Hello my ex?(wife still legally)'got separated in march and the both of us were broke however a relative of mine has died since ending up with me having a small monetary sum(I was not named in the will however another relative overseeing it has given me the money out of there inheritance)
So what I'm asking is if I file for divorce is there any way my ex can put her fingers on this or have any legal claim to the money
Thanks for any and all help

HRZ

If it's a bona fide gift..it is separate property ...but take care not to commingle funds with any other pots which might be marital property .

Blyboy

If it's a bona fide gift..it is separate property ...but take care not to commingle funds with any other pots which might be marital property .
It's a gift from my brother in an account she doesn't have access to or have her name on it in anyway shape or form

LdiJ

What exactly would be "marital funds"
That is one that you should probably google and read up on. However basically its anything you earned and/or spent money on while you were married. Basically its everything that isn't considered to be separate property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">