• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! I'm a volunteer caught in the middle.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rob1120

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? - Maryland

Sorry about the length of this. I am looking for some advice.

I am a volunteer scout leader and I have a divorced couple with a child in my unit. I assume the divorce was messy and there is still a lot of bad feelings.

Before the first meeting, mom asked, via email, if the membership guy or I could call her about some questions. I can't remember the specifics about the call, but she was concerned about dad's participation and asked if she could send me the divorce papers. I declined the paperwork at that time.

Let me explain the leadership situation in the unit. This group of scouts began the year without a parent volunteer to lead the group, so I stepped up to fill the gap and prepare a more permanent leader. At the first meeting of the year while the scouts were playing a game, I explained to all of the assembled parents that my plan was to guide the scouts and to find a parent to take over as the long term leader of the group.

Fast forward about 6 weeks. We have had several meetings and we have another parent who has volunteered as the group leader. He is approved by the unit committee chairperson and has begun to lead the meetings. I am helping as his assistant. He has a work emergency and cannot make one of the meetings. I get a call at 4:30 the day of the meeting. I wasn't prepared, but was able to put something together. I arrived to the meeting location early and the divorced couple was there and was helping me set up. I told them that the other leader had a last minute issue and I was going to lead the meeting. Off the cuff, I said that both of them seemed interested and would they consider helping as assistants. I realized I messed up as soon as the words left my mouth. Apparently this was an issue for Mom. She was not happy with the idea of Dad in a leadership role. While I continued the set-up, they had words and Dad left in a huff. Somethings were said by him about the court orders and what-not.

At the end of the meeting, Dad explained his issues and that she was going to slander him and try to get me to keep him from volunteering. He said she would bring up an issue that happened at a baseball game with the coach who was her new-boyfriend. He explained that he had experience leading some other youth activity groups (youth hockey, etc). Mom caught me too after that and asked if she could call me about this. As I was getting in my car to leave they were still arguing in the parking lot. What had I gotten myself into? I really feel sorry for the kids.

She did call me the next day and explained about a past incident where dad lost his temper with a baseball coach. She also said there had been issues with other organizations. I explained that there was nothing finally decided. She said she could send me the divorce papers. I told her okay. I read them when they arrived. I only found a phrase that Dad could not coach any sports team the kids were on until June 2017 (my story takes place since October 2017). The order also that Dad needs to continue to see a psychiatrist until discharged by the psychiatrist. Nothing in the order about abuse or anything like that.

I spoke to the committee chairperson and the new group leader about this and we collectively agree that our duty lies with the kids. We will include the dad as any of the other parents. If either party displays negative behavior, they will be asked to step away (so the kids can't see or witness).

This past week Dad asks to speak to me. He said he knows that the Mom has slandered him and he will be speaking to his attorney. He asked if she had sent me any emails. I said that she had. He asked me to not delete them because he may need to subpoena them. Dad emails me the next day and asks that I send him the email. If I don't he will get his attorney to subpoena it.

I am looking for what my options would be. 1) Send the email to Dad. 2) ask Dad for the email address and name of his attorney and send the emails to Dad and the attorney 3) Tell Dad that he will need to have the email subpoenaed. 4) something else...

Both parents seem to be pretty nice, away from each other. The unit is sticking with the position that Dad and Mom will be helpers like any of the other parents. I feel that Dad's behavior in this is a bit childish and Mom is being a bit vindictive and neither should be leaders in the unit.

Thanks for your help

PayrollHRGuy

#3 with one modification. Don't even reply telling the father he will have to subpoena the email. He can figure that out himself. It keeps you and the scouts as uninvolved as possible.

One question. Did the email come to your personal or otherwise non-scout related email address or a [email protected] type of address?

justalayman

Just tell the guy you won’t be providing the emails and let it go wherever he wants to take it.

Personally I would not relinquish emails without a court’s order. If I wish to remain trustworthy to others that I will keep private communications private unless commanded to do so by a court, I could not in good conscience release them without a court’s order.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I am more familiar with GSUSA policy than BSA, but I have had very crazy GSUSA parents.

I would not forward emails from one parent to another casually without the sender's permission.

I would only forward emails to a parent's lawyer if subpeonaed.

I would send a copy of the correspondence to the next person up in the organization, to make them aware of a potentially emerging situation.

It is very unlikely that you will be contacted by Dad's lawyer with a formal request. But if so, the higher ups in the organization need to know.

It is very likely that one or both parents will file a complaint with the higher ups in the organization, and cold facts can help in this situation.

Document everything. It's part of "Be prepared."

commentator

Quote: "She did call me the next day and explained about a past incident where dad lost his temper with a baseball coach. She also said there had been issues with other organizations. I explained that there was nothing finally decided. She said she could send me the divorce papers. I told her okay. I read them when they arrived."

I gotta ask. What the heck were you thinking when you agreed to this as a representative of the scout troop??????

Agree with everyone else particularly Red. I'd let the dad subpoena me before I'd provide anything. I would do as suggested and let someone higher up in the organization know about what's going on. I would also strictly limit my discussions personally with either parent.

justalayman

I would also strictly limit my discussions personally with either parent.
that could be tough given they are both permitted helpers in the troop activities.

I would be cautious about allowing them to continue to be helpers. If you do I would be very alert to any issue between them. If anything arises I would not hesitate to terminate their positions as aids. If you terminate one it would be wise to terminate both to avoid claims of favoritism.

rob1120

that could be tough given they are both permitted helpers in the troop activities.

I would be cautious about allowing them to continue to be helpers. If you do I would be very alert to any issue between them. If anything arises I would not hesitate to terminate their positions as aids. If you terminate one it would be wise to terminate both to avoid claims of favoritism.
As parents at this age level (6 years old), at least one is required to be at the meetings. Their help is limited to setup and cleanup, keeping an eye on the kids during an activity.

justalayman

As parents at this age level (6 years old), at least one is required to be at the meetings. Their help is limited to setup and cleanup, keeping an eye on the kids during an activity.
Find other volunteers.

Or do you mean there is at least one parent of every child present at every meeting?

rob1120

Find other volunteers.

Or do you mean there is at least one parent of every child present at every meeting?
Yeah, at this age it is required that each scout has an adult present during the meeting. Most of them hang out on their phone. They just can't drop and run.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yeah, at this age it is required that each scout has an adult present during the meeting. Most of them hang out on their phone. They just can't drop and run.
Yep - Tigers/Cubs require a parent at meetings. I'd tell leadership that you are done helping, and limit yourself to attending meetings/activities with your child.

rob1120

Hoepfully done with

I followed this group's advice. I spoke to other leaders about the situation and their advice was similar to the group here. I did not respond via email.

The dad spoke with me last night. He no longer wants to be a leader. He was not happy that I didn't have the decency to respond to his email. He says he is probably not going to need any of my emails. Another group his sons are with is turning over their emails. He doesn't think I am a very good leader. I thanked him and went on with my meeting. I found out later that he was bad talking to another parent that he would take his son out of our unit. I'm dropping the issue. I realized that this is a hazard for doing good. I do not intend to quit. I do not do this for the parents.

Thank you all for you assistance.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I followed this group's advice. I spoke to other leaders about the situation and their advice was similar to the group here. I did not respond via email.

The dad spoke with me last night. He no longer wants to be a leader. He was not happy that I didn't have the decency to respond to his email. He says he is probably not going to need any of my emails. Another group his sons are with is turning over their emails. He doesn't think I am a very good leader. I thanked him and went on with my meeting. I found out later that he was bad talking to another parent that he would take his son out of our unit. I'm dropping the issue. I realized that this is a hazard for doing good. I do not intend to quit. I do not do this for the parents.

Thank you all for you assistance.
Yeah. Nutso parents have a tendency to do this.

Sounds like maybe Mom had a point.

It is easier to criticize than to volunteer.

xylene

Thank you for being there for the kids and glad things are smoothing out.

You're a good one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">