• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can a car be taken back after new title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LUCY88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia. My friend loaned me her car but insisted that I put it in my name and insurance. The vehicle had set for a couple of years and I was to get it running again and after I was able to purchase a car for myself sign the car back over to her. Now she is trying to tell me I can't have someone in the car with me, she wants to put a lein against the car and that I need to carry full coverage on the car. Also, sign something from her lawyer that states the car will be given back. I have sunk $800 into the car have had it titled in my name and until I can get my own vehicle I can't give it back right now, however I don't want to sign anything that is going to cost me more money than we agreed on. Suggestions?

PayrollHRGuy

Verbal agreements are binding in Virginia but they are difficult to prove. If you refuse to sign anything new the most she can do is hold you to the original agreement.

LUCY88

If she does it would be considered auto theft.
Thanks for the information. I was worried about this going to see a lawyer and sign papers. I have every intention of giving the car back not planning on keeping it, I just don't want her to force me into something. She is my friend and I hope to keep her but, I am tired of people taking advantage of me. I have had the car in my name for a month.

HRZ

IF the car is n your name ...then it's your car ....and it's too,late for,her to,change the rules now ...

adjusterjack

I have sunk $800 into the car have had it titled in my name and until I can get my own vehicle I can't give it back right now, however I don't want to sign anything that is going to cost me more money than we agreed on. Suggestions?
Sure.

Tell her you own it, she has nothing to say about it. If she wants it back, pay you the $800 you spent on it or leave you alone until you replace it and can sign it back over to her.

LUCY88

Sorry guys but, she has told me something else. Now the car is part of a trust that she got from her dad she is the executor of the estate. She is telling me her lawyer is going to void my title put a lien on the car and then I will get a new title. I this even possible to do after it is in my name with no liens? Almost tempted just to give the vehicle back and be done with this mess.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sorry guys but, she has told me something else. Now the car is part of a trust that she got from her dad she is the executor of the estate. She is telling me her lawyer is going to void my title put a lien on the car and then I will get a new title. I this even possible to do after it is in my name with no liens? Almost tempted just to give the vehicle back and be done with this mess.
She's blowing smoke. If what she says is, in fact, true, then she's in hot water, personally, with the beneficiaries of the trust.

I'm curious...how was the car titled before you got it?

LUCY88

The title was in her dads name but with his signature on it, at least when she gave it to me. The car had been sitting for (not sure) 2 years? She didn't have the money to get it on the road, hence why she was letting me use it instead of it sitting.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The title was in her dads name but with his signature on it, at least when she gave it to me. The car had been sitting for (not sure) 2 years? She didn't have the money to get it on the road, hence why she was letting me use it instead of it sitting.
Yep, she could be in a world of hurt. Enjoy your car.

PayrollHRGuy

If I were you I would stop using the term, "she let me use it" as it is incorrect. She gave it to you even if giving it back was part of the agreement.

I doubt she has even talked to a lawyer unless it was the estates lawyer asking where the car was. To which she probably answered she let a friend "borrow" it and was told to get it back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">