• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife is threatening me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xylene

stealth2 said:
I really don't understand why you didn't file for divorce yourself well before this.
OP states he was trying to wait out his spouse in hopes of a settlement where he didn't have to pay anything.

ohiogal said:
Your wife is entitled to half the equity in it.
He's owned the home a year ago. He's in the military, and if he took one of those mortgages available to service members / vets he may have very little equity, or even slight negative equity depending on market conditions.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
OP states he was trying to wait out his spouse in hopes of a settlement where he didn't have to pay anything.

He's owned the home a year ago. He's in the military, and if he took one of those mortgages available to service members / vets he may have very little equity, or even slight negative equity depending on market conditions.
Or he may have put down 20k ... We don't know...

xylene

Your right, he was kinda dense about settling the divorce, so maybe he did go for a weird mortgage, overpay and not take advantage of his military status.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Your right, he was kinda dense about settling the divorce, so maybe he did go for a weird mortgage, overpay and not take advantage of his military status.
Anything is possible. He made mistakes. He needs to realize that unless he had LEGAL SEPARATION ORDERS from his wife, then he is not legally separated and is still married.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
According to my Google searches, Virginia doesn't have "legal separation". You are considered separated when you no longer live together as husband and wife.

Each of the sites I have reviewed concur, but they are commercial sites, so I won't post them.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ahh, here we go. Virginia Legal Aid [SUB](https://www.valegalaid.org/files/E095B726-FCD8-81C1-17DC-A16C7ED73FFF/attachments/399EA16F-F982-45A6-8C41-F6ACF09F0420/simple-divorce.pdf)
[/SUB]
What is a legal separation?
There is no such thing as a "legal separation" or "legal separation proceedings" in Virginia. Separation
is simply not living together. You don't need any papers to live separate and apart from your spouse.
The separation date is the date you and your spouse begin to live separate and apart with the intention of
being separated.

HRZ

OP ...how much equity is in "your " home? A big debate over a small amount may be $ wise non productive ...and there is a decent shot that for equitable purposes it is separate property if acquired after living apart ....discuss with counsel.

OP , as posted you are the father of a child born into the marriage ? IF so and until and unless some court holds otherwise you have the same rights and duties as to that child as does the other parent **************

BTY what efforts have you made to include your child in your life ?

Your spouse may be free to follow a new lover to Alaska ....but whether your child's best interests are met to allow the relocation of the child is a very different question....and one you need to address to your counsel.

OP, on paper how long have you been married ...it might matter ...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">