• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married 22yrs need advice after she kicked me out live in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dmackj10

Married for 22yrs and she kicked me out am i entitled to some land
Her mema died and left her dad 34 acres and we moved a new trailer on it for us to live in and I get mail there but she kicked me out so on the ag exempt paperwork on the farm is named the PM ranch Which stands for Parks Mack ranch which Mack is my last name am I entitled to any of it she also makes a lot more money than me I know Texas is a 50/50 state and she is like making all these changes and saying my debt is mine and hers is hers and neither of have filed for divorce but she wont tell me what she wants to do so I am lost and she will get half the land if her dad dies we where going to build our dream house there so need help

PayrollHRGuy

If she doesn't yet own the land you will certainly not have any of it coming to you if you divorce now.

You likely do own half of the equity in the trailer and all debt is marital debt.

Go get a lawyer.

Last edited:

LdiJ

If she doesn't yet own the land you will certainly not have any of it coming to you if your divorce now.

You likely do own half of the equity in the trailer and all debt is marital debt.

Go get a lawyer.
He won't get half of it once her dad passes away either. An inheritance is separate property.

PayrollHRGuy

There are several things that a married couple can do that will convert that separate property to marital property. And considering it sounds like it is a working ranch many of those things would not only be possible but likely.

LdiJ

There are several things that a married couple can do that will convert that separate property to marital property. And considering it sounds like it is a working ranch many of those things would not only be possible but likely.
Not right now its not likely. Her dad is still alive and its HIS property. Putting a mobile home on your father in law's property does not give you ownership of said property.

PayrollHRGuy

Not right now its not likely. Her dad is still alive and its HIS property.
Are you even reading the thread you are replying to or remembering the posts YOU make? I already, in the thread (the first response for that matter) said he, "...certainly not have any of it coming to you if you divorce now."

You replied some nonsense inferring that he could never have any interest in the property because it was inherited. Both I and adjusterjack replied that you were wrong.

Now here you are spouting off again about it not being likely now.

LdiJ

Are you even reading the thread you are replying to or remembering the posts YOU make? I already, in the thread (the first response for that matter) said he, "...certainly not have any of it coming to you if you divorce now."

You replied some nonsense inferring that he could never have any interest in the property because it was inherited. Both I and adjusterjack replied that you were wrong.

Now here you are spouting off again about it not being likely now.
I was not wrong. Inherited property remains separate property UNLESS something happens to change its nature from separate property.

The point is that the way you are wording things might give this poster the idea that somehow, someday, he is likely to get some interest in this property. That will not happen unless comingling happens. It is very possible to keep inherited property separate and people are likely to take steps to do so if they have any doubt at all about the future. Certainly anyone with any savvy at all who knows either this guy's wife or his father in law is going to advise them to take steps to make sure that he could never get his hands on any share of the property.

PayrollHRGuy

If anyone made an unclear post in this thread it was you when you wrote "He won't get half of it once her dad passes away either. An inheritance is separate property."

It is not just unclear it is false with just a few acts on very simple acts on the wife's part.

LdiJ

If anyone made an unclear post in this thread it was you when you wrote "He won't get half of it once her dad passes away either. An inheritance is separate property."

It is not just unclear it is false with just a few acts on very simple acts on the wife's part.
It takes more that just a few simple acts to change separate property into community property.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I agree with LdiJ on this one. Absent dad bequeathing it to him, he won't get half of it once her dad passes away. Of course, there may be subsequent acts that change that, but not at the moment dad passes.

Ya'll aren't disagreeing on that point.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That leads one to believe that you are arguing simply for the sake of arguing...

The fact is that what LdiJ said and what you said are both correct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">