• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

EX WIFE WONT VACATE MARITAL HOME

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Menfla

What is the name of your state? Florida

Uncontested divorce , ex wife retained an attorney , I didnt.
Divorce was final end of Feb 2018.
We agreed to alimony / no child support , we also agreed that she would move out of marital residence , but final living arrangements are not addressed in the decree.
She now refuses to move out.
We are both listed on the property deed , but I am the mortgage holder.
Is there any legal way for me to force her to move out ?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Florida

Uncontested divorce , ex wife retained an attorney , I didnt.
Divorce was final end of Feb 2018.
We agreed to alimony / no child support , we also agreed that she would move out of marital residence , but final living arrangements are not addressed in the decree.
She now refuses to move out.
We are both listed on the property deed , but I am the mortgage holder.
Is there any legal way for me to force her to move out ?
You may need to go back to court with a motion for contempt...

Or you could offer to help her with costs. Sometimes money is a powerful motivator.

CdwJava

If the move out was not addressed in the divorce decree, there would be no contempt. The wording of Menfla's post leaves room for interpretation on that count. It might depend on how any joint assets were assigned, or who got custody of the residence. If Menfla has sole custody of the residence, he may have to move for an eviction.

xylene

Well, not having a lawyer was a costly mistake. You certainly need one now and if you expect this to be resolved with anything like the urgency you seem to have...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If the move out was not addressed in the divorce decree, there would be no contempt. The wording of Menfla's post leaves room for interpretation on that count.
You're right. Upon re-reading the post, it could be either way.

HRZ

And be careful about any supposed tenant status the EX might have....tenants have piles of rights and must be evicted by attention to due process rules.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I think OP needs to carefully read the divorce decree.

OP's wife had legal representation in this divorce, and I just find it highly unlikely that the decree highly favor OP.

Like stealth, I am surprised at the mention of "no child support" as that implies that there are children of an age to be supported. Is the agreement alimony in lieu of child support?

OP says he gets the house, but that final living arrangements aren't addressed in the decree. That seems mighty odd. In fact, if the property is not addressed in the decree, and her name is still on the deed, then OP needs to get himself a lawyer and figure out just what it is that he "agreed" to in this "uncontested" divorce..

CdwJava

But, if the house was awarded to the OP, then that can make the spouse a tenant, for all intents and purposes. In my experience, the party with primary custody tends to get the house ... though the other party might still have to help pay for it. It seems particularly odd that such an apparently one-sided decree could even happen. There must be more to this.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
But, if the house was awarded to the OP, then that can make the spouse a tenant, for all intents and purposes. In my experience, the party with primary custody tends to get the house ... though the other party might still have to help pay for it. It seems particularly odd that such an apparently one-sided decree could even happen. There must be more to this.
Especially since one-sided decrees usually favor the one with legal counsel over the pro se party.

CdwJava

Except not for Landlord/Tenant law purposes.
If the home was awarded to the OP, and the spouse is no longer an owner, why not? If the OP were the sole legal owner, then the spouse would be there unlawfully. The OP could then treat the ex as a tenant, or, have her removed using whatever process state law might permit.

It seems unlikely that this is the case since the OP says that her name is on the deed, but, if it were the case, the ex would no longer have a right to ownership.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">