• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 yr old son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mr JB

California
My child support settlement/agreement states I am to pay until age 18 and "out of high school" or age 19.
I just received notice from my ex that my son will not graduate in June and that the plan (developed by my ex wife, son, and school admin) is for him to remain in school to better his grades and "grow" and graduate in December.
My total monthly bill is $2400, his allotment is $700. I have been fully prepared to fulfill this responsibility to him through June. You can imagine my discouragement at facing 6 additional months.
Any advice will be helpful.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You pay until he graduate or turns 19. That is what happens. He hasn't graduated. He is planned to graduate in December. Doesn't matter if he is 18. When does he turn 19?

HRZ

Does he have an IEP or 504 plan ?

I have no doubt a parent could tweak the system to postpone graduation for a semester ...but proving that is inconsistent with the support requirements may be a very unproductive exercise ...and it may be son lacks the requirements to graduate ..have you checked his school records ?

That said...I'd want to read all my sons school records on point . A phantom student may be another issue..but that's not what you post ...not yet anyway And I'm aware of students who have moved on to college but are carried on HS rolls .

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
California
My child support settlement/agreement states I am to pay until age 18 and "out of high school" or age 19.
I just received notice from my ex that my son will not graduate in June and that the plan (developed by my ex wife, son, and school admin) is for him to remain in school to better his grades and "grow" and graduate in December.
My total monthly bill is $2400, his allotment is $700. I have been fully prepared to fulfill this responsibility to him through June. You can imagine my discouragement at facing 6 additional months.
Any advice will be helpful.
You know, most parents would be more discouraged that their child wasn't graduating on time, and focus on that.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

I have no doubt a parent could tweak the system to postpone graduation for a semester ...but proving that is inconsistent with the support requirements may be a very unproductive exercise ...and it may be son lacks the requirements to graduate ..have you checked his school records ?

That said...I'd want to read all my sons school records on point . A phantom student may be another issue..but that's not what you post ...not yet anyway And I'm aware of students who have moved on to college but are carried on HS rolls .
Hogwash.

OP has typed nothing that would indicate anything like an IEP or 504 plan is involved. And if OP hasn't been keeping track of the kid's progress, that's on him. It does not matter why the kid isn't graduating in June, so stop impugning the other parent.

If OP were highly motivated to have the kid graduate on time, perhaps OP would have been involved in the kids academic life all along. But again, that. does. not. matter. What matters is OP's question: does he still have to pay child support. Answer: Yes.

Mr JB

I've really no doubt he may not have the credits to graduate (way to many late nights at the table pushing him to get his homework done), but I wouldn't put it past her to to let him slide considering what she stands to lose when he does graduate.

xylene

OP has typed nothing that would indicate anything like an IEP or 504 plan is involved.
OP said plan...

Asking about a delay that will cost over 10 grand is not "impugning" the other parent, especially if it is for discretionary supplementary education. This is an 18 year old and the custodial patent has some accountability for why education beyond the standard curriculum was needed.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Honestly, we have no idea why or how kiddo's not graduating on time. I do, personally, find it surprising that a parent (NCP or not) is unaware until a month prior. Be that as it may...

OP follows the order, period. So CS is paid until December, earliest.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I've really no doubt he may not have the credits to graduate ...
If he doesn't have the credits to graduate, then he doesn't graduate. It sounds to me as if the school is giving him the opportunity to make up his shortfall at be beginning of the next school year. I don't see why you believe this is some nefarious plan.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
OP said plan...
That does not mean it's an IEP or similar. It's entirely possible that Mom said to school Admin "so, what do we do now? What's the plan for him to graduate?" Like when #2 failed economics in HS (a requirement), "the plan" was for her to take it online to fulfill the requirement.

xylene

That does not mean it's an IEP or similar. It's entirely possible that Mom said to school Admin "so, what do we do now? What's the plan for him to graduate?" Like when #2 failed economics in HS (a requirement), "the plan" was for her to take it online to fulfill the requirement.
Hence why HRZ's asking about the nature of the plan was a reasonable extension of the discussion and not impugning the other parent... who is not even a party to this discussion so worrying about their feelings seems a bit much...

I'm sorry, I find this extended high school a bit much and if op's son has enough to graduate, he should be out. I find this 'grow' language suspicious enough that asking for clarity about the status seems reasonable.

I'm not in the 'anything for the kids' crew. This is is thousands and thousands on an 18 year old.
18 year old who needs year 4.5 of HS - an explanation is required.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Hence why HRZ's asking about the nature of the plan was a reasonable extension of the discussion and not impugning the other parent... who is not even a party to this discussion so worrying about their feelings seems a bit much...

I'm sorry, I find this extended high school a bit much and if op's son has enough to graduate, he should be out. I find this 'grow' language suspicious enough that asking for clarity about the status seems reasonable.

I'm not in the 'anything for the kids' crew. This is is thousands and thousands on an 18 year old.
18 year old who needs year 4.5 of HS - an explanation is required.
You think "I have no doubt a parent could tweak the system to postpone graduation for a semester" is not impugning the other parent?

You think "A phantom student may be another issue..but that's not what you post ...not yet anyway And I'm aware of students who have moved on to college but are carried on HS rolls ." is not implying that the other parent is engaging in fraud?

And Dad himself, " I wouldn't put it past her to to let him slide considering what she stands to lose when he does graduate."

Nope. There's no one blaming the custodial parent for this.

OP came here with a legal question, which was concisely answered by OG.

It does not matter why the kid isn't graduating in June. One doesn't fall credits short of graduation overnight; some kids even complete graduation credits early. It is "thousands and thousands" because that is what the court order dictates. OP could have been more hands on, keeping track of the kids progress. This is a tax on under involved parenting.

If OP is "disappointed" then I have to wonder... how disappointed the kid must be with OP? Clearly OP hasn't been deeply involved with the kid's life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">