• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scraped Parked Car, Went in store and came out to owner leaving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ns4m

Florida.

I was just in a minor accident with a parked car in a parking lot. My car scraped the paint of another pulling into the parking space. I then backed up and parked a parking spot down and checked the damages. Then i sat in the truck for about 5 minutes because I was really nervous about what had happened. I then decided to go into the store that we where parked at for no more than 5 minutes and come out to the owner of the car I had scratched driving off. I didn't get a chance to leave a note or anything and neither I or the owner called the police and reported it, not knowing what to do i decided to go home and do some research on what to do. Now after some research I've seen that I could be blamed with hit and run as going into the store is considered leaving the scene. But at the same time, they made no effort to stay and report it as well. I'm really worried on getting into major legal issues and don't really know what I should do. I'm only 20 and never really been in this situation before. Any advice?

justalayman

Yes you did have a chance to leave a note.

Unless you went into the store with the specific intent to find the driver of the other car (did you immediately go to the customer service counter and ask them to page the owner of the car you hit), you have committed a hit and run accident. You have also left the scene of the accident.

Blaming anything on the other party is rediculous. Did they even notice the damage? How do you know they didn’t use their cellphone to call the police. In today’s world the police will not respond to many car accident situations unless there was an injury

Ns4m

I'm not trying to blame them for anything as Im the only one to blame in this. When I saw they left I didn't know what to do so I left too. What steps should I take from here?

Just Blue

I'm not trying to blame them for anything as Im the only one to blame in this. When I saw they left I didn't know what to do so I left too. What steps should I take from here?
Call the police in the precinct that the accident happened and file a report.

Ns4m

Alright Im going to call and report what happened. Is their a good chance I may face time in jail for this?

Just Blue

Alright Im going to call and report what happened. Is their a good chance I may face time in jail for this?
As long as you are properly licensed and insured...I highly doubt it. If something like this happens again...Just pull out some scrap paper and a pen and put your info on the windshield of the car. Take a pic as well.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Your primary responsibility was to make sure the owner was notified, either by leaving a note or by waiting. Going shopping was not a good thing to do, no matter how long.

You should also report the accident to your insurance company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">