• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will my driver's license be suspended?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Los Angeles, California.

Today I went to juvenile court for the possession of marijuana and received community service, drug classes, and a fine that were all apart of a diversions program. I was also told by the judge that he is required to report my name to the DMV which can result in my driver's license being suspended for a year. I am 15 and don't have it yet which means I would have to wait until I am 17. If i finish the diversions program will I be able to get my driver's license since I will be cleared?

Just Blue

Los Angeles, California.

Today I went to juvenile court for the possession of marijuana and received community service, drug classes, and a fine that were all apart of a diversions program. I was also told by the judge that he is required to report my name to the DMV which can result in my driver's license being suspended for a year. I am 15 and don't have it yet which means I would have to wait until I am 17. If i finish the diversions program will I be able to get my driver's license since I will be cleared?
You should ask your attorney this question.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
But by your experience, since the judge said the DMV decides whether or not I can drive, after completing all requirements do they usually allow you to drive at the age of 16 in California?
A great question for your attorney. I will, however, say that, (to my knowledge) if your license is suspended for one year, then that suspension will occur as soon as you are licensed.

xylene

You can plan on no license til 17 maybe even 18.

The clock on the year will be NO LESS than 1 year of you out of the diversion program, nothing to do with court left, fines, comm service, anything.

And there is gonna be lag time and lead time at the DMV. Which they won't be in a hurry about just because you got off court stuff.

A great question for your attorney. I will, however, say that, (to my knowledge) if your license is suspended for one year, then that suspension will occur as soon as you are licensed.
So does this mean I will receive my license then have it suspended or not receive it at all until I turn 17?

PayrollHRGuy

You will want to do whatever is required to get your license so the suspension can start as soon as possible.

You will want to do whatever is required to get your license so the suspension can start as soon as possible.
So will I be able to get my permit when I am 15 and a half or how will that work? Because in order to get my license don't I need 6 months of driving with a permit?

quincy

If you complete all terms of the diversion program to the satisfaction of the court, the charge against you is dismissed.

At that time, you should have an attorney assist you in getting your license privilege restored.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
No one can tell you what DMV will do for sure. But you should expect to not drive legally until 17..

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Isn't it possible with an attorney to present the need of driving due to having a single parent?
I guess it's possible. But that doesn't mean you'll get a pass. Heard of Uber? Or Lyft? Frankly? If I were your parent I wouldn't give a good gosh darn what the court or DMV had to say. You wouldn't be driving, and you'd hear me complaining how much more difficult your foolishness made it for me.

pac72

id doubt the dmv would care... you should have thought before ya started puffing the evil weed smokey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">