• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parent Refuses to let child fly alone for visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

catsmouse

My son flew as an unaccompanied minor way past the age he needed to. Kid got lost so many times and once we had to call the police. He was a wanderer I guess. Our experience with our son flying alone was very negative so dad and I decided to fly with him. I
believe that children under a certain age should not be allowed to fly alone. My daughter is 17 now but while flying unaccompanied at 7, coming back from a visit with her dad, experienced extreme turbulence. She hasn't flown since then even though her step-dad is a pilot. We tried therapy and counseling to help with her fear but nothing has worked. Dad and I have long since stopped trying to make her fly. If this is a well developed fear, no matter from where, trying to make her fly would be cruel.

Just Blue

My son flew as an unaccompanied minor way past the age he needed to. Kid got lost so many times and once we had to call the police. He was a wanderer I guess. Our experience with our son flying alone was very negative so dad and I decided to fly with him. I
believe that children under a certain age should not be allowed to fly alone. My daughter is 17 now but while flying unaccompanied at 7, coming back from a visit with her dad, experienced extreme turbulence. She hasn't flown since then even though her step-dad is a pilot. We tried therapy and counseling to help with her fear but nothing has worked. Dad and I have long since stopped trying to make her fly. If this is a well developed fear, no matter from where, trying to make her fly would be cruel.
And you point is...what exactly? OP is resolving his issue.

catsmouse

And you point is...what exactly? OP is resolving his issue.
Sorry, didn't see the date. I believe my post was relevant regarding the child's fear no matter who caused it. You do realize that people can search through old posts to get the info they need without having to post something very similar, right? No judge is going to force a child on a plane knowing they'd have an anxiety attack with a well documented fear of flying that they (the child) can express themselves.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Sorry, didn't see the date. Drivel? I believe my post was relevant regarding the child's fear no matter who caused it. You do realize that people can search through old posts to get the info they need without having to post something very similar, right? No judge is going to force a child on a plane knowing they'd have an anxiety attack with a well documented fear of flying that they (the child) can express themselves.
I would just point out that it is not OP's child who is afraid to fly UM - Mom is the one with the issue. So.....your point isn't really relevant.

catsmouse

So Mom is filling an 11 year old's head with scary stories about molestation, etc... but the child is still okay to fly? Must be a tough/smart kid. My years of having my child fly as a UM have shown me that attendants do not always do their jobs well and that's a serious issue.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So Mom is filling an 11 year old's head with scary stories about molestation, etc... but the child is still okay to fly? Must be a tough/smart kid. My years of having my child fly as a UM have shown me that attendants do not always do their jobs well and that's a serious issue.
And I/my kids never had a problem flying UM - so what's your point?

catsmouse

And I/my kids never had a problem flying UM - so what's your point?
Sorry. But me being me and not afraid of bullies, after a fast google search you can find instances of children being left alone when a flight was overbooked and of others being groped on flights. Flight attendants are not baby sitters and sharing my personal account (my son routinely left alone to wander off) is relevant. Send your child off as you wish but educate yourself to the dangers. That is my point.

Last edited:

Just Blue

If you have a question regarding your children flying UM start your own thread. The OP was advised regarding HIS CHILD and has not posted back.

Last edited by a moderator:

catsmouse

If you have a question regarding your children flying UM start your own thread. The OP was advised regarding HIS CHILD and has not posted back.
I believe that the identity of the OP (him/her) was in question. My children are 24 and almost 18. 24 year old flies often for work. Younger child is going into the Marines. Not overly fearful children. 17 year old takes the train with a friend or relative (because of fear of turbulence which I did not cause) to visit Dad but will be learning to fly this year w/ her step-dad (pilot) and will be flying herself soon alongside him. I have supported their decisions, worked with Dad and come up with the best plan to make sure we are respecting our child's wishes. I hope OP has resolved their issue but after reading this thread we don't have that info. Thanks for blaming me for my children's "fear" and your unfounded opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

catsmouse

I read it. And I'd be willing to bet I can find plenty of stories of children being molested at school but that doesn't mean I'm going to not send my kid to school.
Oh My Lord! I can not believe you actually posted that response. You're simply stating that you have a belief that your child "could" be molested in their current school environment but you'll still send them? Maybe you "misspoke."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">