• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it possible to get a limited guardianship just for school purposes in the State of Wisconsin?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leocarlson01

State of Wisconsin

A teenage (17) friend of my daughter's was having a difficult time at home. Not abuse (that I am aware of) but just a difficult situation. She has permission from her Father (legal guardian) to live here (it is closer to the school, less he has to deal with, etc.). She is essentially a member of the family and is treated as such. The issue is that the school will not allow my wife and I to sign excuse slips or be provided any information about school and activities. I understand why, but I am wondering if there is anything that I can do about it? Some kind of document or something that will allow us to make sure she is getting what she needs at school? Indiana and other states have a form for this but I do not see anything like that for Wisconsin. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Just Blue

State of Wisconsin

A teenage (17) friend of my daughter's was having a difficult time at home. Not abuse (that I am aware of) but just a difficult situation. She has permission from her Father (legal guardian) to live here (it is closer to the school, less he has to deal with, etc.). She is essentially a member of the family and is treated as such. The issue is that the school will not allow my wife and I to sign excuse slips or be provided any information about school and activities. I understand why, but I am wondering if there is anything that I can do about it? Some kind of document or something that will allow us to make sure she is getting what she needs at school? Indiana and other states have a form for this but I do not see anything like that for Wisconsin. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
What does the childs mother have to say about this?

xylene

Not necessarily. Its possible that a POA will do it, but the school has to confirm that.
It's also possible the school will play moving goalposts with a complex family situation involving a student who is almost no longer a minor whom they'd just as soon leave hanging.

LdiJ

It's also possible the school will play moving goalposts with a complex family situation involving a student who is almost no longer a minor whom they'd just as soon leave hanging.
The child is already enrolled in the school. That is not the issue. The issue is the adults with whom they are living needing the right to sign forms and be informed about the child's education. Its quite possible that a POA would be sufficient for that.

HRZ

Google for free forms ...and you decided ...and if it seems appropriate ..get a parent to execute enough originals and make enough copies to keep everyone happy.
WI apparently recognizes a parental designation of POA for limited or broad issues for max of one year to another . Renewal is not an issue if the child will be 18 by end.

Whether a school will honor a POA is beyond me...but it sort of covers thier behind

xylene

The child is already enrolled in the school. That is not the issue. The issue is the adults with whom they are living needing the right to sign forms and be informed about the child's education. Its quite possible that a POA would be sufficient for that.
The child is enrolled under dubious pretense and circumstances and they know it. And that is likely why they are being uptight about "parental" notice and permission slips

xylene

A lawyer could discuss the merits of leaving well enough alone...

Something a diy Internet poa cannot.

HRZ

The school does not get to make up the laws...and nothing posted indicates child is enrolled in wrong school ....HOWEVER if the child is in wrong school I would be untra careful not to trigger a hunt for who is going to pay the tuition!

I can see the merits of leaving well enough alone ...and Dad must be in loop for some things ..

I can see the merits of a simple POA executed by parent ...it's easy to revoke ..and may be sufficient for the purposes described.

OP I'd be a bit nervous about medical insurance coverage and power to make medical decisions WO incurring personal liability

LdiJ

The child is enrolled under dubious pretense and circumstances and they know it. And that is likely why they are being uptight about "parental" notice and permission slips
Go back and re-read the original post. I think its pretty clear that the child is in the correct school. The OP talks about his/her house being closer to the school than dad's house. Also, if this is a friend of the OP's child, they probably met at school or live close to each other.

HRZ

I see few risks in OPs fact pattern if the parent executes the simple 1 page POA short term POA for his child

A holder of a POA is not required to act and it can be easily revoked by grantors as well.

The major risk I could see is if " guest " somehow wears out welcome mat and refuses to return home ... and claims "tenant " status in OPs home

LdiJ

I see few risks in OPs fact pattern if the parent executes the simple 1 page POA short term POA for his child

A holder of a POA is not required to act and it can be easily revoked by grantors as well.

The major risk I could see is if " guest " somehow wears out welcome mat and refuses to return home ... and claims "tenant " status in OPs home
The "guest" is a minor and has to go back home to dad in that instance. Now, that might change once the child turns 18, but they are not at that point yet.

xylene

Go back and re-read the original post. I think its pretty clear that the child is in the correct school. The OP talks about his/her house being closer to the school than dad's house. Also, if this is a friend of the OP's child, they probably met at school or live close to each other.
If the child doesn't reside with dad then where does she live? With mom?
And you've inferred her school district by what what subtle turn of phrase? :rolleyes:

I am just super reluctant to endorse simple fixes to complex family law situations.
And it is a complex family law situation when a minor is living with unrelated people because living with either of their parents is not a tennable option for the child or the parents...

There is an apt expression: 'in for a penny in for a pound'

The they want to to right by someone they see as a family member - shell out for some professional help BEFORE muddying the waters... even more.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">