• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it possible to get a limited guardianship just for school purposes in the State of Wisconsin?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Senior Member
I doubt WI law allows one to merely boot a long term 17 year old " guest" who has worn out her welcome mat and claims tenant status ....absent due process.

There are multiple posts on these boards from folks with good intentions unable to exit a resident friend or family member when things turned sour ....just be careful !!

I wonder if Mom and Dad are providing economic and insurance support for thier daughter ?


Under the Radar Member
OP - your best course of action is to FIRST find out from the school what they require, and then speak to the parents and likely an attorney. But until you know what the school needs? You're shooting in the dark.

And HRZ? Whatever you doubt? Stop with the scare tactics from whatever "fact pattern" you deduce.


Senior Member
I am not sure what the problem is ....
1. IF the student is already enrolled in the proper district and the custodial parent remains a resident of that district ..that should be no problem ?
2. Access to student records is governed by FERPA and that allows for parent to delegate in writing permission to access same ...so get it in writing w or wo a simple POA youndind on line for use in WI.
3. My view is most "excuses" at HS level are barely worth the paper they are printed on....unless say from a Dr and even that is subject to being checked ...cross those bridges as necessary ...if parent executed a basic POA, use that if and when


Senior Member
If the child doesn't reside with dad then where does she live? With mom?
And you've inferred her school district by what what subtle turn of phrase? :rolleyes:

I am just super reluctant to endorse simple fixes to complex family law situations.
And it is a complex family law situation when a minor is living with unrelated people because living with either of their parents is not a tennable option for the child or the parents...

There is an apt expression: 'in for a penny in for a pound'

The they want to to right by someone they see as a family member - shell out for some professional help BEFORE muddying the waters... even more.
We will have to agree to disagree. I see it as a fairly simple matter when all of the adults are in agreement. I do not see this particular situation as complex at all.


New member
Thank you all for your help and wise counsel. To answer a few of the questions, the school was not wiling to give any information as to what they would need. In fact, they barely acknowledged that we were real people. (not the best customer service) I believe that this is because it is a rather small school or perhaps the principal just did not know? Yes, the student is in the correct school district. Her mother passed away when she was very young so no other guardian than her father. Father is providing no financial support and I am not asking for any, but he does carry insurance. Because she is going to be 18 in nine months or so, we are trying to keep things as simple as possible. I will look into the POA option. Thank you for your help.


Senior Member
IF the 17 year old is in the right district and enrolled and Dad continues to live in that district...why not just duck low and ride it out . ( In my state, pa , if you take in a child gratiously you are entitled to enroll the child as if it was your own...and by virtue of a an appeals decision you can be paid very handsomely for doing so and still call it a gratious arrangememt ). I simply didn't reasearch the laws of your state . But if Dad gives you written permission to access child's records that meets the requirements need FERPA Cross the bridge about "excuses" when in fact there is a need for an excuse.
Sponsored Ad