• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What grounds can a university search your mail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Student - please give us more details about your situation and your question.

Student352

Under what circumstances was the mail searched? Specifics matter.
I’m having a debate with a friend on whether a university has the right to search mail sent to a student living in a dorm. No substances sent. If it was delivered to the school, does the school have the right to open the mail? Do they need a warrant/notify the student to open the mail?

quincy

I’m having a debate with a friend on whether a university has the right to search mail sent to a student living in a dorm. No substances sent. If it was delivered to the school, does the school have the right to open the mail? Do they need a warrant/notify the student to open the mail?
Universities can have mail policies. Read the policy for your university.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
We, generally, do not answer hypothetical questions. Some members may, however, deviate from that...
I generally do not because the facts in such hypotheticals tend to be like a pinball bouncing off the bumpers.

FlyingRon

Again, are we talking about regular US postal snail mail? If so, no they have no right to intercept messages addressed to a student.

If there is a warrant, then the mail could be opened and you not being told. However, it is not the school that would be doing it. Those sort of things are handled by the postal inspectors.

quincy

We, generally, do not answer hypothetical questions. Some members may, however, deviate from that...
I generally do not because the facts in such hypotheticals tend to be like a pinball bouncing off the bumpers.
I am deviating. :)

Is it first class mail?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">