• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

People telling my girlfriend I have a criminal record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? PA.
Hello. I moved to PA from NC to be with my girlfriend a couple of months ago. My gf owns her house, but it is on her father's property. Her, I, and the kids were sitting outside one day and he came up on his ATV and stated that he googled my name (he used one of those incorrect sites that are all over the internet) and that I had 9 felonies, and had a kid and a woman living in my house in NC, and accused me of having a criminal record in front of my gf, the kids, and his wife. He then stated I had to be off of his property or he was going to have me arrested for trespassing. This obviously caused problems between my gf and I as I had to prove to the best of my ability that he was lying. I showed her on the official NC website that has public criminal records that my name is not in the system. I've never been arrested, or even handcuffed. I however cannot prove that no one is living in my house without literally driving her to NC and letting her see for herself. I had to leave, and she left with me as he is verbally abusive to her and to her kids. She reported him CYS and they agreed that she did the best thing by leaving and getting away from him. I had to leave my computer there, as I didn't have time to pack it up, and I have lost a substantial amount of time programming a game I have been working on for 3 years of my life. We are now homeless due to his false accusations, and had to seek help from the local government assistance. They put us in a hotel for 30 days, and we have been looking for a place to rent every day, but can find nothing. We are all stressed to the extreme due to our situation and it has caused major problems in our relationship. My gf informed me last night that one of her "friends" had told her that he googled my name as well and informed her (falsley) that I have a criminal record, and that I also have a warrant for my arrest. This has caused even more problems between my gf and I. I am completely innocent of these accusations from these fake sites, and have proved it, and can continue to prove it, but with people constantly buzzing lies in her ear it's piling stress on top of stress. I have told her to inform her father and her "friend" to meet me at the courthouse and I will show them a copy of my record, but they refuse to do so as they think they are right. I have anxiety and depression, and this has gotten to the point that I'm having to defend myself and my name on a daily basis, and my gf is constantly suspicious of me due to the actions and lies of these people.

Any advice and help would be appreciated.

On a side note, I can't get my computer because he will charge me with trespassing, and she can't get it because it's too heavy for her, resulting in more days of lost work on my programming.

quincy

Ah. The problems that lies can cause.

How long have you been with your girlfriend? Do you have children together?

Do you have a fairly common name?

It is not unusual when searching a name on the internet to come up with several people who share the same name. I imagine that is what confused your girlfriend's father.

Do you have a job and a place to stay in North Carolina?

We have been living together for 3 months. We have know each other for a lot longer. The children are hers, but I consider them mine as thier biological father is a deadbeat.

I have a very common name.

I'm a computer guy, and found the exact website both of them used within 3 minutes of searching and informed her father that he was wrong, and why he was wrong. He's computer illiterate, and still claims he is correct.

I still have my house in NC, but no job there. Moving there isn't an option as of now, due to her ongoing legal battle for child custody with her ex.

Is there any way this would be slander, as both her father and her "friend" have published it by telling other people these lies about me, and by telling her as well thusly ruining my name and creating tensions between my gf and I and also causing us to be homeless and have to resort to public assistance?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
For one who comes here complaining of slander, you sure seem to have no problem slandering others.

It's not slander if it's true. Everything I have stated about them is true.

I have evidence that what they are saying about me is false.

quincy

We have been living together for 3 months. We have know each other for a lot longer. The children are hers, but I consider them mine as thier biological father is a deadbeat.

I have a very common name.

I'm a computer guy, and found the exact website both of them used within 3 minutes of searching and informed her father that he was wrong, and why he was wrong. He's computer illiterate, and still claims he is correct.

I still have my house in NC, but no job there. Moving there isn't an option as of now, due to her ongoing legal battle for child custody with her ex.

Is there any way this would be slander, as both her father and her "friend" have published it by telling other people these lies about me, and by telling her as well thusly ruining my name and creating tensions between my gf and I and also causing us to be homeless and have to resort to public assistance?
Yes. What you have described is slander.

Here is a link to an overview of Pennsylvania's defamation laws:
http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/pennsylvania-defamation-law

You could have a cease and desist letter drafted by an attorney in your area that advises the father that legal action is being considered and will be pursued if he does not stop telling lies about you.

You can arrange to have the police accompany you to your girlfriend's house to retrieve your computer.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
You can arrange to have the police accompany you to your girlfriend's house to retrieve your computer.
Well, he can certainy ask the police to do that. Whether they would be willing to do it or not is another. Around here they won't. They'd tell the OP it's a civil matter and absent a court order will not get involved.

quincy

In that case, you might want your girlfriend to return to her house (which is probably a better place for her children anyway) with a friend who can help retrieve your computer.

I am surprised the police will not standby while you get your computer from your girlfriend's house, to prevent an altercation. I know they will do it here.

Because your girlfriend is involved in a custody dispute right now, she might want to make sure her children are living in a stable environment, even if it means putting your relationship on hold for awhile.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I am surprised the police will not standby while you get your computer from your girlfriend's house, to prevent an altercation. I know they will do it here.
Whether they would in the OP's area I don't know. But where I am the police do not have the resources to do what they would see as baby sitting adults who can't get along. They have a lot of other priorities to address. It's been my general observation that police in smaller communities are more willing to do that sort of thing whereas police in larger metropolitan areas typically don't.

In that case, you might want your girlfriend to return to her house (which is probably a better place for her children anyway) with a friend who can help retrieve your computer.

She left her house because it's on his property and his house is about 50 yards away. She reported him to CYS and left her house because he is constantly verbally abusive to her and her children calling them names such as "retards" and making fun of them.
CYS agreed it was the best thing to do to get the children away from him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">