• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex boyfriend won’t sign quit claim deed without payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kdizon

My state is MD. My mother added me and my ex boyfriend to her condo deed back in 2009. We stayed there for a couple months until moving out. Unfortunately we never had the deed fixed and he has remained on the deed ever since. I haven’t been in contact since 2010 but now my mother is going through a short sale of the condo. In order for the settlement to occur we need my ex boyfriend to sign the quitclaim deed. He is asking us to pay him $5k in exchange for his signature. What are my option in not having to pay this blackmail?

Kdizon

It's not blackmail to expect to be paid in exchange for giving up one's property.
He’s had zero financial contribution to the property outside of the 3-4 months of rent. Would it really still be considered his property? His name was added as a form of help.

Just Blue

He’s had zero financial contribution to the property outside of the 3-4 months of rent. Would it really still be considered his property? His name was added as a form of help.
Yes it is still considered his property. Was the help he gave your mother in the form of a refinance ...as in his income was used to qualify for the mortgage and the mtg co required him to be on the deed?

Kdizon

His only financial contribution was half of the mortgage for 3-4 months. The help came from my mom just giving us ownership of the condo with no monetary exchange. The mortgage was untouched and remained in her name.

Just Blue

His only financial contribution was half of the mortgage for 3-4 months. The help came from my mom just giving us ownership of the condo with no monetary exchange. The mortgage was untouched and remained in her name.
Are you saying that your mother deeded the home over to you and the boyfriend and kept the mtg in her name only? Why would she do that?

HRZ

He is on the deed....that's gives him a whole lot of leverage ...and for that matter oyou hold equal leverage to demand to be paid equivalent amount ...think! JUst who is going to pony up to buy out other owners ...for a negative value deal.

It is however extremely likely that the mortgage comes ahead of any of the three of you to see a dime at the end .

If the property goes under then it is likely nobody gets a dime ...you need to lay out the math with great care ...it may be a fools quest to buy him out to save a negative value hole . Mom needs to sort out if she just walks away is her note with recourse or without recourse.

Last edited:

Kdizon

He is on the deed....that's gives him a whole lot of leverage ...and for that matter you hold equal leverage to demand to be paid equivalent amount ...think!

It is however extremely likely that the mortgage comes ahead of any of the three of you to see a dime at the end .

If the property goes
No one is getting a dime from this sell. My mom just needs to sell the house because she can longer pay for it.

adjusterjack

No one is getting a dime from this sell. My mom just needs to sell the house because she can longer pay for it.
Then she certainly can't afford the cost of a "partition action" that would be necessary to sell the house without your BF's signature.

The obvious alternative to a short sale is to quit paying on the house and let it go to foreclosure.

That will trash your BF's credit for many years to come. Tell him that.

Last edited:

HRZ

I repeat, if Mom is expected to pay out $XXX to get your old BF off the deed, then you might be wise to insist upon exactly the same amount of go away money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">