• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assult happened but never called the cops. But he was arrested

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tpatzo

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

An assault happened between a couple. She didn't call the cops. She went to the hospital. She didn't report to the hospital who hit her. She told her brother. He called the guys probation officer. The assult happened 2 days ago. The probation officer told the brother he couldn't do anything as she didn't report it to the cop. Today now 2 days later he was arrested for assult. And a probation violation. The brother told his po he was dirty for drugs. Problem is the cops were never called. How is this possible? Can she fight this in court? Can she say it never happened. Will the courts press charges if she didn't call the cops? What if her brother was really pissed off at the guy & did this cause he didn't like him. Can someone call the cops on me and say I hit them to & I really didn't.

quincy

I'm in Arizona. I didn't report nothing. I'm not the girl he hit. She's in Minnesota
You are fortunate then.

Anyone can call the police to report a crime that they see or hear or heard about or suspect has been committed. These reports will be investigated by the police.

If after an investigation the police find nothing to support an arrest or charges, there generally will be no arrest and no charges will be filed.

Can false reports ever lead to an arrest? Yes. That happens.

Just Blue

I'm in Arizona. I didn't report nothing. I'm not the girl he hit. She's in Minnesota
Ya know...The woman was injured to the point that she had to be treated at the ER. I say kudos to her brother for helping her when she can not or will not help herself. YOU should mind you own business. With your stellar boyfriend you have enough to worry about without finding things in other states to "battle".

FlyingRon

Understand that in a criminal proceeding it is not the "Victim" vs. "Defendant." It is society that is harmed by criminal behavior and it is the state that prosecutes against the criminal. It is not uncommon that DV cases go forward without a complaint by the victim (or in the light of subsequent recants).

Hospitals here routinely call the police if they suspect child abuse or domestic violence. And it's the DA who will prosecute not the victim.
Can't remember how many times I have arrested the, normally, male party, and after the approval of the DA arrested them and booked them into jail, only to have the, normally, female victim after realizing that she has just put her only source of income in jail, call up wanting to drop the charges.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Hospitals here routinely call the police if they suspect child abuse or domestic violence. And it's the DA who will prosecute not the victim.
Can't remember how many times I have arrested the (usually male) party, and after the approval of the DA arrested them and booked them into jail, only to have the (usually female) victim, after realizing that she has just put her only source of income in jail, call up wanting to drop the charges.
Fixed it. There is nothing "normal" about being an abuser or a victim. And as much as we'd wish that DV didn't exist, we certainly don't want to give the impression that male victims are "abnormal"! (Calling abusers of any gender "abnormal", in the sense that abuse is unacceptable, is another thing. :mad:)

There are statistical records - "usually" when those reported exceed 50% of the cases.

Back to Patzo: "Sisters before misters." If your boyfriend is slapping around his other honey in Minnesota, ditch him and get therapy. Most self-respecting women would rather play second banana to no one.

FlyingRon

In most cases they are legally obligated to report in the case of child abuse. In other cases, certain acts of violence require a mandatory report. In Missouri, it's limited to gunshot wounds. Other states include stabbing or in some cases all non-accidental violent injury.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Can someone call the cops on me and say I hit them to & I really didn't.

Yes. However, if there isn't any evidence that you hit them, likely nothing would come of it. In this case, there was some evidence that she was assaulted and her own testimony (to her brother) as to who did it.

If this is the BF from your other thread you really need to ditch this guy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">