• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor Scumbaggery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CA: I live in a Mobile Home Park where each unit comes with a shed. Some time ago my neighbor complained that her boyfriend didn't have room to park in her driveway and asked if she could she put a few things in my shed. I didn't have much at the time and said "sure." I thought it would be okay to share some space with her. I also warned her that it wasn't secure because I didn't want to put a lock on it. The next thing I know she put a lock on it and refused to allow me access. The last time we spoke her last words to me were: "It's my shed now." I don't know what to do about this. Should I send her a letter that her stuff is now abandoned property and she has 30 days to get rid of it? And then can I legally get rid of it? It's all just so weird that I am at a total loss.

Yep, that sounds about right. I'm sure I'm in the right here, but the truth is I'm afraid of her and her boyfriend. I suppose they are taking full advantage of that. Time for me to grow a backbone, I guess. Thanks for your quick response.

quincy

My apologies. There was an issue with my earlier post so I deleted it.

To repeat what I said (and what you responded to in your post):

Because it is your shed, you can cut the lock. It was installed without your knowledge or permission.

HRZ

And focus on jawboning her to remove her stuff PROMPTLY

The less you write the better !! Her property is not abandoned and at least initially it was there by permission and you created a bailment of her stuff.

Develop a spine and tell her permission to use the shed is now revoked ..and she must get her stuff out in XX hours ...and be darn firm about it .

Whether you can safely just dump her stuff back on her property is beyond me, but if you do, have some safe video records that the stuff was returned to her .

Eekamouse

CA: I live in a Mobile Home Park where each unit comes with a shed. Some time ago my neighbor complained that her boyfriend didn't have room to park in her driveway and asked if she could she put a few things in my shed. I didn't have much at the time and said "sure." I thought it would be okay to share some space with her. I also warned her that it wasn't secure because I didn't want to put a lock on it. The next thing I know she put a lock on it and refused to allow me access. The last time we spoke her last words to me were: "It's my shed now." I don't know what to do about this. Should I send her a letter that her stuff is now abandoned property and she has 30 days to get rid of it? And then can I legally get rid of it? It's all just so weird that I am at a total loss.
What did park management say when you told them about this? Your neighbor does not have the right to trespass on your space without your permission. Make sure you apprise management of the situation and ask them for assistance with this ridiculous neighbor.

They recently changed park management from a nice lady to a couple whom I've been told (gossip abounds here) hate my guts for some unknown reason, as we have never met. They might even be friends with Crazy. I've felt reluctant to go to them about anything. But I get it - they should know, although I wouldn't expect any assistance from them. I will definitely tell them of my plan to snip the lock. Thanks for the advice about the video. Great idea.

Oh, and as for "jawboning her," I've only asked her twice to remove the lock and the 2nd time she threw a full-on screaming fit that I was harrassing her and then proceeded to malign my character. Loudly. I am not inclined to provoke the beast again. I think my next step will be a letter (as advised above) that permission has been revoked. Then I suppose I'll give her some time to remove the stuff before I cut the lock. I'm just wondering if after a certain amount of time, the stuff becomes "abandoned?" as she will probably not take any steps to remove the junk.

HRZ

THe stuff is not abandonned just yet...and I'd be darn careful to stick to just a written revocation of permission to use my shed....zero editorial comments .

Personally I think 48 hours is plenty of time to clean it out, do not give anyone open ended time to get it cleaned out .

I sure as heck would bypass her lock to access my shed .

Wherher you jawbone her to remove it or you physically deliver it to her premises I'll leave to you ...just do not set it out in open to be destroyed by elements .

You used poor judgement to give permission to use your shed ...it's NOT a problem for site manager to solve...you did it..you solve it.

IF she goes beyond a screaming ft and goes into threats of harm ...pray you have a reliable witness and call the police

Eekamouse

That's when cell phone video comes in handy. If you can record her threatening you, you can present that to the park and to the court.

Yes, it is a huge regret to have allowed this to happen. It can join my collection. I will make sure that her property is protected from the elements and to videotape the process. Also, to not give an open-ended deadline. As soon as I can make arrangements for a video recorder and a witness, then I'm in business. Thank you all. I will update the situation as it progresses.

FarmerJ

Im wondering if a local tool rental or hardware store rents bolt cutters , if you do that then install your own padlock in the hole even if you don't close the door so that way no one else can put another lock on it.

quincy

Update: This issue was happening in Paradise, CA. Damn shed is burned to the ground, along with everything else. Looks like fire was the solution.
What a tragic way for the problem to be resolved. I hope you and those you love and were acquainted with all escaped physical harm.

And I hope your town can recover from the disaster.

I am so sorry for all of the losses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">