• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Colorado visitation/age a child can decide

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jtegge

What is the name of your state?
Colorado

My husband is in a correctional facility and has been for 10 years, since his son was 5 weeks old. He still has parental rights and pays child support every month. He has not seen a picture or had any contact with his son during this 10 year time. Does he have a legal right to know where his son lives? Does his ex-girlfriend have a legal responsibility to send him pictures or tell the boy about his father?

As the step-mother, is there anything I can do so this child has a chance to get to know his father. I have never met the child’s mother or the child. I do not know if she has told the child the truth about his father or her story as to why he is supposedly in a correctional facility. I have three children of my own 19, 16, and 3. My husband and I have been best friends for 25 years. I know he is a great person and father if given the chance.

At what age can the child have a choice if they want to see or meet the other parent?

Thank you for your time

PayrollHRGuy

How is he paying child support while in prison?

What his rights are will depend on the custody agreement.
His girlfriend has no legal responsibility to do squat.
The child has a choice when he is no longer a minor.

Just Blue

Colorado

My husband is in a correctional facility and has been for 10 years, since his son was 5 weeks old. He still has parental rights and pays child support every month. He has not seen a picture or had any contact with his son during this 10 year time. Does he have a legal right to know where his son lives? Does his ex-girlfriend have a legal responsibility to send him pictures or tell the boy about his father?

As the step-mother, is there anything I can do so this child has a chance to get to know his father. I have never met the child’s mother or the child. I do not know if she has told the child the truth about his father or her story as to why he is supposedly in a correctional facility. I have three children of my own 19, 16, and 3. My husband and I have been best friends for 25 years. I know he is a great person and father if given the chance.

At what age can the child have a choice if they want to see or meet the other parent?

Thank you for your time
How long have you been married to this guy?

Jtegge

Colorado

Thank you for your time
How is he paying child support while in prison?

What his rights are will depend on the custody agreement.
His girlfriend has no legal responsibility to do squat.
The child has a choice when he is no longer a minor.

Jtegge

I apologize, I did not make that clear. His ex-girlfriend is his child’s mother.

He pays child support by his disability check from the Marine core. His grandmother is on his account. His check gets deposited and she sends his payment to the child enforcement in Colorado.
His ex-girlfriend, his child’s mother, lied and said he raped/sodomized her when she found out he was cheating on her. His son was 5 weeks old. Long story-no evidence, she tried this before with her other child’s father but he had an alibi. He didn’t do it.

The custody agreement was written while he was in the correctional facility. She, his ex-girlfriend, has full-physical custody of their child because He is now in prison. He did not give up his parental rights. She changed the child’s last name even though he tried not to let her.
How can he get a copy of this custody agreement? She done all of this while his trial was in progress, the judge only gave him one week.
In North Carolina, the person paying child support has a legal right to know where the child’s residence is, if the hold leaves the state, and general information such as what school they attend. Unless there is a protective order in place this information has to be given to the other parent. I am wanting to know if there is a general rule like this in Colorado

adjusterjack

As the step-mother, is there anything I can do so this child has a chance to get to know his father.
No. It's between him and the mother of his child. It's really none of your business.

I have never met the child’s mother or the child.
Again, none of your business. You can't even remotely be defined as step-mother.

The age he becomes an adult.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I apologize, I did not make that clear. His ex-girlfriend is his child’s mother.

He pays child support by his disability check from the Marine core. His grandmother is on his account. His check gets deposited and she sends his payment to the child enforcement in Colorado.
His ex-girlfriend, his child’s mother, lied and said he raped/sodomized her when she found out he was cheating on her. His son was 5 weeks old. Long story-no evidence, she tried this before with her other child’s father but he had an alibi. He didn’t do it.

The custody agreement was written while he was in the correctional facility. She, his ex-girlfriend, has full-physical custody of their child because He is now in prison. He did not give up his parental rights. She changed the child’s last name even though he tried not to let her.
How can he get a copy of this custody agreement? She done all of this while his trial was in progress, the judge only gave him one week.
In North Carolina, the person paying child support has a legal right to know where the child’s residence is, if the hold leaves the state, and general information such as what school they attend. Unless there is a protective order in place this information has to be given to the other parent. I am wanting to know if there is a general rule like this in Colorado
What orders are there that he can contact his child? Has he tried phone calls? Letters? Emails? Other communication? If so when was the last one?

Just Blue

How long have you been married to him? Is he the father of any of your children? What is he in prison for? How long till he gets out?

Jtegge

How long have you been married to this guy?[/
No. It's between him and the mother of his child. It's really none of your business.

Again, none of your business. You can't even remotely be defined as step-mother.

If I am married to the child’s biological father, what would I be defined as, so I know how to legally explain this to someone?

I work in Health Care, in the operating room, saving lives every day, I am not a legal expert, that is why I am asking. I hope you are a legal expert and can professionally answer the question.

My husband does not have computer access and since he does not have a job making money to afford an attorney, I am trying to find out any information I can.

Jtegge

How long have you been married to him? Is he the father of any of your children? What is he in prison for? How long till he gets out?
We have been married for two years. He is not the father of my children. His sentence was 6 years to life. He may never get to come home.

Jtegge

What orders are there that he can contact his child? Has he tried phone calls? Letters? Emails? Other communication? If so when was the last one?
Since his ex-girlfriend, baby’s mother, put him in there, she is considered the victim. He can not contact her. He does not have an email, address, or phone number for her or their son.

quincy

We have been married for two years. He is not the father of my children. His sentence was 6 years to life. He may never get to come home.
Please explain what I have bolded above.

He was convicted of rape? In what state?

He has been imprisoned for 10 years?

Just Blue

Since his ex-girlfriend, baby’s mother, put him in there, she is considered the victim. He can not contact her. He does not have an email, address, or phone number for her or their son.
Please answer the question of what EXACTLY he was convicted of. Thank you.

Jtegge

His conviction is in Colorado.
Every time he has went to the parole board, 4 times so far, they tel him he can not get parole while he is trying to get appeals and get a new trial. This is why he has been turned down for parole.
I have asked in depth and also asked the people that have been released on parole. They all say none of them would ever get out unless they changed they admitted to doing what they were charged with or stopped going to court. He has been filing appeals for 10 years. Before the trial, 10 years ago, was given a plea deal. Admit guilt and you will have 2 years with some time served. He said No because he didn’t do it. He had a court appointed attorney because he didn’t think
Please explain what I have bolded above.

He was convicted of rape? In what state?

He has been imprisoned for 10 years?
Before the trial he was offered a plea deal of guilty and he would serve up to 2 years. He did not take it because he didn’t do it.
My husband used a court appointed attorney because he thought they couldn’t convict him since he didn’t do it and the rape kit was negative. After the trial and conviction my husband had to file most of the motions himself. Then they denied them later because he filed them instead of the attorney. He then had a female attorney who was going through a divorce and had a nervous breakdown. He has a new attorney and still trying to get new trial.

I have spoken with current inmates, ex-inmates, and a couple of exonerated past inmates. All have said unless you admit guilt or stop going through the courts you do not get out on parole. He is still going through the courts and his lawyer actually just sent in requests on December 4, 2018.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">