• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

public defender misconduct HELP?!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrpierce

hi im jody
last febuary 2018 i was charged with controlled substance possesion of canabis and trespass. the first public defender did nothing but post pone court for 9 months during which i begged the judge for a new attorney. finaly in november granted me a new public defender. he spoke to me once back at the beging of december. last we spoke he said he would talk to d.a. and get a plea offer i have not heard from him sense even after paniced phone calls exxpressing how my anxiety is outta control. in my messages i explained that it makes me uncomfortable not having heard anything back even just a quick check in phone call. i have court in 2 days . any ideas on how i should proceed?

quincy

hi im jody
last febuary 2018 i was charged with controlled substance possesion of canabis and trespass. the first public defender did nothing but post pone court for 9 months during which i begged the judge for a new attorney. finaly in november granted me a new public defender. he spoke to me once back at the beging of december. last we spoke he said he would talk to d.a. and get a plea offer i have not heard from him sense even after paniced phone calls exxpressing how my anxiety is outta control. in my messages i explained that it makes me uncomfortable not having heard anything back even just a quick check in phone call. i have court in 2 days . any ideas on how i should proceed?
What is the name of your state?

Just Blue

new york but iwas just driving thru im from vermont but ya court is in new york
Are you typing your replies or using talk to text on your cell? Either way, would you please start using punctuation and proper capitalization? It would make reading your posts much easier...Thanks.

quincy

hi im jody
You are probably not going to get the personal attention you want from a public defender as you could expect from a private attorney.

Public defenders' case loads tend to be large and the time for each case tends to be extremely limited. That would not be attorney "misconduct" but a reality of the position they fill.

Continuances are not granted by a court without good cause - and it might not be the public defender who is delaying the court hearing. It could be the judge.

You will have some time before the hearing to speak to your public defender. You are ENTITLED to a full and complete explanation of any plea agreement offered by the prosecutor.

Even if the public defender seems rushed, you should NOT feel rushed into accepting any agreement until you understand exactly what the agreement means to you.

I am not seeing misconduct.

mrpierce

It was a snowstorm and i had my dog. i pulled over to let dog pee. I couldnt tell that we had walked into private property and was only there for a minute. A couple roaches and a pretty empty vape cartriage.

mrpierce

You are probably not going to get the personal attention you want from a public defender as you could expect from a private attorney.

Public defenders' case loads tend to be large and the time for each case tends to be extremely limited. That would not be attorney "misconduct" but a reality of the position they fill.

Continuances are not granted by a court without good cause - and it might not be the public defender who is delaying the court hearing. It could be the judge.

You will have some time before the hearing to speak to your public defender. You are ENTITLED to a full and complete explanation of any plea agreement offered by the prosecutor.

Even if the public defender seems rushed, you should NOT feel rushed into accepting any agreement until you understand exactly what the agreement means to you.

I am not seeing misconduct.
Figured as much . But thank you for the contact. It made me calm down

quincy

Wrong time for your dog to need to pee, wrong place for you to stop so he could, and wrong stuff to be carrying when the police noticed you. That was not a good day for you. :)

Your public defender should be able to work with the prosecutor to get you a reasonable plea agreement. Good luck.

quincy

mrpierce should be able to get any charge of marinara possession dismissed. The roaches, however, can be a problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">