• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

public defender misconduct HELP?!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I hate to pick nits (well, sometimes I don't) but I always wonder where people get this "ypdcrime.com" website from. It's apparently a privately owned website. I would prefer if people referenced the New York State Assembly website when referring to New York State laws. It's pretty much diligently updated and "official":

http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/lawssrch.cgi?NVLWO:

Which is found through www.assembly.state.ny.us, clicking on "bill search and legislative info" and then on "laws".

Thank you.

quincy

I hate to pick nits (well, sometimes I don't) but I always wonder where people get this "ypdcrime.com" website from. It's apparently a privately owned website. I would prefer if people referenced the New York State Assembly website when referring to New York State laws. It's pretty much diligently updated and "official":

http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/lawssrch.cgi?NVLWO:

Which is found through www.assembly.state.ny.us, clicking on "bill search and legislative info" and then on "laws".

Thank you.
I have no problem with your preference. The law is the same, though.

The ypdcrime site is a publication of the full online text of the New York ABC law, Criminal Procedure law, the Penal Code, the Vehicle and Traffic law, the Civil Rights Law.

If you want to provide the links you prefer, feel free to jump in with links whenever you want.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The ypdcrime site is a publication of the full online text of the New York ABC law, Criminal Procedure law, the Penal Code, the Vehicle and Traffic law, the Civil Rights Law.
There are a lot more laws than those, which I'm sure you know. ;) :p

I just find it difficult to trust a website that refers to the "Family Court Law" and uses a name which may lead some to believe there is an affiliation with the Yonkers Police Department.

Sorry to interrupt. We now continue with our regular programming.

quincy

I just find it difficult to trust a website that refers to the "Family Court Law" and uses a name which may lead some to believe there is an affiliation with the Yonkers Police Department.

Sorry to interrupt. We now continue with our regular programming.
You can explore the site and what is offered. Or not. :)

If you think the laws as posted are inaccurate, you should offer corrections and links. Are the laws correct as posted?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I hate to pick nits (well, sometimes I don't) but I always wonder where people get this "ypdcrime.com" website from. It's apparently a privately owned website.
Some private websites do an admirable job of providing free access to legal materials related to a particular area of law. While one should always be careful about relying on such sites at least until you know how complete and accurate it is, and how diligently the information is updated, they can at least provide a good place to start.

For example, in the area of tax law a site called Legalbitstream provides a lot of tax law material for free that would otherwise be hard to find for free in one place. While it is basic compared to the paid services I use for most of my research, it does a pretty admirable job considering it's free and doesn't even require registration. (I have no connection to that site and am not endorsing it. Just using it as an example.)

That's just one example. There are other really useful private sites out there for free legal information. Some run by well known names like Cornell University and others you may not have heard of but that may also be good. Check them out when you see them to determine how reliable they are. Some of those private site are better than the sites the government provides. When you find helpful, reliable sites, bookmark them and use them. :D

While I provide links to government sites where I can, I also provide links to other sites when what they have appears to be better or more useful in some way, or when the government doesn't have a site that provides it.

quincy

Some private websites do an admirable job of providing free access to legal materials related to a particular area of law. While one should always be careful about relying on such sites at least until you know how complete and accurate it is, and how diligently the information is updated, they can at least provide a good place to start.

For example, in the area of tax law a site called Legalbitstream provides a lot of tax law material for free that would otherwise be hard to find for free in one place. While it is basic compared to the paid services I use for most of my research, it does a pretty admirable job considering it's free and doesn't even require registration. (I have no connection to that site and am not endorsing it. Just using it as an example.)

That's just one example. There are other really useful private sites out there for free legal information. Some run by well known names like Cornell University and others you may not have heard of but that may also be good. Check them out when you see them to determine how reliable they are. Some of those private site are better than the sites the government provides. When you find helpful, reliable sites, bookmark them and use them. :D

While I provide links to government sites where I can, I also provide links to other sites when what they have appears to be better or more useful in some way, or when the government doesn't have a site that provides it.
While I tend to rely on .gov and .edu sites, I also try to find and use sites that offer accurate information but are in addition easy for a poster to read and understand.

The government websites are not always laid out in a way that is consumer-friendly.

There are definitely some websites that are more reliable than others. Everyone should always look at the sources of the information they seek, whether it be legal information or medical, tax, news ... whatever.

quincy

I haven't looked. Just wanted to point out the fact that there is an official source with more extensive information than the one you referenced.
Okay.

I think it is important to judge the accuracy of the information provided before challenging the source.

Again, if you want to provide links to the law, you are welcome to do so at any time. :)

mrpierce

Jody, if you would like to post back with what happened at your court hearing, we always like updates.
i have court at 4pm today. its a 2.5 hour drive one way. i still havent heard from my p.d. . Its snowing like crazy last time this happened myp.d. didnt show up. All that and i got this goin on also.
I went in to get heater fixed in my car. I get a call saying a power steering hose is leaking should probably get new 300 plus labor 540 total. While fixing he breaks another hose costing 200 says no labor . When i picked up the car he says 240. I drive 2 miles and the steering is bad i return it. Says its a o ring no charge . I drive away and in 1 mile its leaking and making noise. I return it and after 2 days he says i need a new pump. After i spent 800. My steering was great until they stared making repairs.

mrpierce

Sorry to interrupt. We now continue with our regular programming.[/QU
The life and times of my world of shit. Todays issue other than i have court
I went in to get heater fixed in my car. I get a call saying a power steering hose is leaking should probably get new 300 plus labor 540 total. While fixing he breaks another hose costing 200 says no labor . When i picked up the car he says 240. I drive 2 miles and the steering is bad i return it. Says its a o ring no charge . I drive away and in 1 mile its leaking and making noise. I return it and after 2 days he says i need a new pump. After i spent 800. My steering was great until they stared making repairs.Of course i used a guy {i trusted} he has a reputable shop. And has done well so far. Im clueless and dont have anyone for advice. Thanks for any comments

quincy

i have court at 4pm today. its a 2.5 hour drive one way. i still havent heard from my p.d. . Its snowing like crazy last time this happened myp.d. didnt show up. All that and i got this goin on also.
I went in to get heater fixed in my car. I get a call saying a power steering hose is leaking should probably get new 300 plus labor 540 total. While fixing he breaks another hose costing 200 says no labor . When i picked up the car he says 240. I drive 2 miles and the steering is bad i return it. Says its a o ring no charge . I drive away and in 1 mile its leaking and making noise. I return it and after 2 days he says i need a new pump. After i spent 800. My steering was great until they stared making repairs.
Sometimes it seems as if the world is conspiring against you. I recommend you find someone with a reliable car to drive you to the hearing. You do not want to miss it as that will only add to your problems (and can result in a failure to appear warrant).

You are most likely looking at nothing more than fines and it is possible that your public defender can get one of the charges dismissed.

But do not miss the hearing.

mrpierce

Sometimes it seems as if the world is conspiring against you. I recommend you find someone with a reliable car to drive you to the hearing. You do not want to miss it as that will only add to your problems (and can result in a failure to appear warrant).

You are most likely looking at nothing more than fines and it is possible that your public defender can get one of the charges dismissed.

But do not miss the hearing.
Thanks I hope i make it. The car im using is my girlfriends which we had the same mechanic work on. Now she has a problem with it leaking coolant. Yeah i know great huh? Needless to say i wont be using them in the future. The truth tho the owner is a great mechanic but he now has "workers"

quincy

Thanks I hope i make it. The car im using is my girlfriends which we had the same mechanic work on. Now she has a problem with it leaking coolant. Yeah i know great huh? Needless to say i wont be using them in the future. The truth tho the owner is a great mechanic but he now has "workers"
Your car problems will not excuse you missing the court hearing so if I were you I'd start searching for an alternate means of transportation and leave any dispute with the car mechanic for another day.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">