• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my husband force me to file joint taxes when i want to file separate. Going through a divorce.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Then why does every response you made in this thread indicate that you felt the OP had no right to refuse to file a joint return with her soon to be ex spouse?
Here is every post I've made in this thread. Tell me which one indicates that I felt the OP had "no right" to refuse... Pay particular attention to the two that specifically stated that she DOES have the right to refuse.

You lived together for 83% of the year. Why shouldn't you file joint?
This OP could file as either joint or separate. Mine was more of a philosophical question ;)
So, you've had the use of the FULL amount of his money too.

To answer your original question: No, he can't force you to file jointly, but as was recommended above, you need to speak to a tax pro about this.
The question wasn't directed at you ;)
I KNOW there are valid reasons.
The point (that you obviously missed) is that the OP can't complain about hubby not paying taxes while also enjoying the use of that extra money.

LdiJ

Here is every post I've made in this thread. Tell me which one indicates that I felt the OP had "no right" to refuse... Pay particular attention to the two that specifically stated that she DOES have the right to refuse.
You've made my point for me. You made it clear you thought that she had no moral right to refuse, while giving lip service to her legal right to refuse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">