• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorced 7 months ago but ex husband still thinks he has rights to house HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Linmi21

Got divorced 7 months ago but was separated a year prior to that due to an affair on his part for 4 years prior to that. Long story short. In the division of property he got truck, trailer and several large items in house and I got house. I actually bought house before we were married when we were only dating so my name was only on it but in our property division divorce settlement I was solely awarded the property and said the house was quick claimed to me and I help all financial responsibilities and upkeep. Technically it’s wasnt quick claimed cause I was only one on deed to begin with but person doing my paperwork worded it that way.

My question is does he literally have any rights to the house anymore? He thinks he does and he only starting causing these issues when I moved on with my life with someone else. He had affair for years and I paid the house alone for years without any financial help from him yet when we were married he lived almost for free. He keeps threatening me he has say what I do and don’t do etc and I told him we already decided everything in divorce and he said he didn’t wanna fight so he just signed everything but I told him to read divorce papers and we had agreement he was gonna be the one to move because I am the one who could afford house and he couldn’t keep house because his low credit and wouldn’t be able to refinance.

He claims he spoke to a lawyer saying he does have rights in the house over anyone else I should marry and live in my house with??? How can he say this because we have a final divorce and we do have a child together yet he doesn’t even paid child support nor any debts or payments he is suppose to pay. Am I just being threatened? I’m scared all I want is peace after going thru years of stress and hell with the many affairs my ex husband chose to have.

Just Blue

Got divorced 7 months ago but was separated a year prior to that due to an affair on his part for 4 years prior to that. Long story short. In the division of property he got truck, trailer and several large items in house and I got house. I actually bought house before we were married when we were only dating so my name was only on it but in our property division divorce settlement I was solely awarded the property and said the house was quick claimed to me and I help all financial responsibilities and upkeep. Technically it’s wasnt quick claimed cause I was only one on deed to begin with but person doing my paperwork worded it that way.

My question is does he literally have any rights to the house anymore? He thinks he does and he only starting causing these issues when I moved on with my life with someone else. He had affair for years and I paid the house alone for years without any financial help from him yet when we were married he lived almost for free. He keeps threatening me he has say what I do and don’t do etc and I told him we already decided everything in divorce and he said he didn’t wanna fight so he just signed everything but I told him to read divorce papers and we had agreement he was gonna be the one to move because I am the one who could afford house and he couldn’t keep house because his low credit and wouldn’t be able to refinance.

He claims he spoke to a lawyer saying he does have rights in the house over anyone else I should marry and live in my house with??? How can he say this because we have a final divorce and we do have a child together yet he doesn’t even paid child support nor any debts or payments he is suppose to pay. Am I just being threatened? I’m scared all I want is peace after going thru years of stress and hell with the many affairs my ex husband chose to have.
What state?

Just Blue

The property was awarded to you in the divorce. He has no rights to it. Stop renting him space in your head. Only discuss your child with him and do so through e-mail or text.

Linmi21

The property was awarded to you in the divorce. He has no rights to it. Stop renting him space in your head. Only discuss your child with him and do so through e-mail or text.

Thank you, I do rent to much space in my head he has always been full of idol threats at me and trying to mess with me. I need to take him back to court for not paying child support but I know he has no money because he can’t even pay truck payments I allowed him to have that is still in my name cause we can’t sell it to pay off loan either so I am trying to work with him to get it transferred to his name but his credit is so bad.

I didn’t think he had any rights but yesterday and today he has threatened me saying he has rights to the house over my next potential partner. I said no one has rights but me and I’ve put a lot of repairs into the house since he left and even allowed him to stay a month after divorce because I tried being kind til he found a place that would rent to him based on his credit reviews.

Anyways thank you for the reassurance I was afraid when he started saying he spoke with a lawyer, probably was a lie since he always tends to tell me stories

Just Blue

Thank you, I do rent to much space in my head he has always been full of idol threats at me and trying to mess with me. I need to take him back to court for not paying child support but I know he has no money because he can’t even pay truck payments I allowed him to have that is still in my name cause we can’t sell it to pay off loan either so I am trying to work with him to get it transferred to his name but his credit is so bad.

I didn’t think he had any rights but yesterday and today he has threatened me saying he has rights to the house over my next potential partner. I said no one has rights but me and I’ve put a lot of repairs into the house since he left and even allowed him to stay a month after divorce because I tried being kind til he found a place that would rent to him based on his credit reviews.

Anyways thank you for the reassurance I was afraid when he started saying he spoke with a lawyer, probably was a lie since he always tends to tell me stories
I highly doubt he spoke to an attorney...or if he did, the attorney didn't have the facts before advising. Likely though he is just trying to mess with you...DO NOT ALLOW IT! And stop being "nice" to the PO:censored:!

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

Dittos on what Blue said.

Suggestion: since he hasn't been paying child support and you're going back to court... consider having it go through the state. Most states have some sort of child enforcement bureau, and, while it's not perfect, they have more resources than you. https://childsupport.georgia.gov/

Additionally, stop interacting with the ex except for arranging visitation. Don't reply to texts, don't answer the phone, etc. Don't worry about being rude, because frankly, he's more than a tad hostile.

If you have reason to believe your ex is stalking you, report his behavior to the police and try to get a restraining order.

FarmerJ

Perhaps you should consider getting a different phone & number to use and if the phone number he has been calling you on can be transferred to say a low cost _ _ _ _ fon that would only need a 20 dollar phone card every 90 days to keep it active and just check it once or twice a day then you might have a bit more peace.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">