• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I caught my apartment magnager having an affair with my boyfriend in my apartment on recording. What can i do about this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Spot84

How long has your boyfriend lived with you in your apartment?

I would worry about your boyfriend and/or the apartment manager pursuing a legal action against you.

There are invasion of privacy civil actions that could be considered (intrusion upon a person's seclusion, public disclosure of private facts) and audio recording laws that might have been violated, and an "invasive visual recording" that can lead to a criminal action.

If your boyfriend has not established tenancy, you can kick him out.
He has not lived with me he was not a tenant and I have broken it off with him and it's my apartment it is my privacy.

quincy

He has not lived with me he was not a tenant and I have broken it off with him and it's my apartment it is my privacy.
You cannot video or audio record surreptitiously if to do so violates privacy laws.

You will have to deal with your apartment manager. Perhaps she will let you out of your lease early.

Your boyfriend is an easier matter. Tell him you no longer want to see him.

quincy

Talking with the manager's boss is a good idea, especially if the apartment manager was supposed to be working at the time she was with the boyfriend.

Again, though, any recording can be legally problematic for Spot84 so it is best that nothing is said about any recording until what was recorded can be personally reviewed by an attorney in Texas. Texas takes privacy seriously, even addressing it in their state Constitution.

TigerD

Spot84 should discuss this with an attorney in Texas. I'm not a Texas attorney, but I am not as sure as some of the other posters seem to be that Spot has done anything wrong. She has a right to have security cameras in her residence. We don't know where the camera covered. If it covered the bed, that is a harder sell. If the living room or kitchen, then there is a reasonable argument that she didn't intend to invade the privacy of others when they chose to have sex on the sofa or kitchen table.

But regardless, I've have a talk with the apartment manager's boss.

TD

xylene

Why did you have a nanny cam on your boyfriend?

Did you record yourself having sexual relations with him without his knowledge or consent?

quincy

Spot84 should discuss this with an attorney in Texas. I'm not a Texas attorney, but I am not as sure as some of the other posters seem to be that Spot has done anything wrong. She has a right to have security cameras in her residence. We don't know where the camera covered. If it covered the bed, that is a harder sell. If the living room or kitchen, then there is a reasonable argument that she didn't intend to invade the privacy of others when they chose to have sex on the sofa or kitchen table.

But regardless, I've have a talk with the apartment manager's boss.

TD
I agree that the facts of the recording (the where, the what, audio/video) matter.

Here is a link to the "invasive visual recording" law (where intent is an element): https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-code/penal-sect-21-15.html

Here is a link to Texas recording laws:
http://dmlp.org/legal-guide/Texas-recording-law
Then there are the privacy torts.

Having a surveillance camera in one's apartment can be okay depending on placement and reasonable expectation of privacy.

quincy

I disagree about reporting the matter to the employer. That seems fraught with risk and has few, possibly zero upsides.
I agree that it potentially could open Spot up to a greater risk of being sued or a police complaint filed against her.

This is assuming all of Spot's proof is on a recording and she didn't walk in on the manager and her boyfriend.

There really is no legal action that Spot can take based on what has been said and the only other actions Spot could take are to get rid of the boyfriend, possibly get the manager fired, and possibly get out of her lease early.

Discussing the recording(s) with a Texas attorney would be smart.

quincy

Boyfriends/spouses/partners can't be "stolen." It was his choice.

Keep in mind: if you have a lease the LL may not be inclined to let you out of it without penalty.
That is where disclosing the manager's actions could help. :)

There are real issues raised with the surreptitious recording(s), though.

Dandy Don

Why would you even think about wanting to do anything against the manager?

Be glad you found about your boyfriend's true colors and break up with him.

Look for another place to live.

quincy

Why would you even think about wanting to do anything against the manager?

Be glad you found about your boyfriend's true colors and break up with him.

Look for another place to live.
The manager has access to the apartment. I suspect Spot doesn't have a whole lot of trust in the manager right now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">