• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Five-Day “No Cause” Notice to quit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tacos

Nevada**

I established residency here with someone who said I could stay here until I got myself together to get my own place. She lives in Low income housing she’s not supposed to have anyone else here, a guest can only stay here so many days and I’ve been here two months, I got my first check and gave her $200 because that’s what was agreed when I first moved in here.
The following day she told me she wanted me out by the 25th and the next thing you know she calls the police because I refuse to give her the key. Believes that there was nothing they could do because I’ve established residency to give me a key and I’ve been here for two months.
when I got home today April 12 she served Me With the five-day know cause notice to quit.
now she put her signature where it supposed to be the landlords name, she informed me that she had gone to the courthouse and they told her what to do .
isn’t the landlord supposed to serve me? Because I’ve been living here with her permission and she’s also most likely breaking the lease of the housing.
Was this a proper form that you gave me? I’m still going to head down to legal aid on Monday

adjusterjack

For the purpose of the arrangement that you have with her, she is your landlord and you are her tenant. So putting her name on the form where it says landlord is correct. Whatever rules she is breaking is between her and the housing authority. It doesn't change her statutory obligations to you as your landlord.

Unfortunately for you, if you are a "tenant at will" the 5 day notice is proper.

See NRS 40.251:

https://law.justia.com/codes/nevada/2013/chapter-40/statute-40.251/
Note that I used the word "if."

I don't know what the details of your arrangement are. Obviously nothing in writing so it would be difficult to prove the who's who and the what's what.

If you want to ignore the 5 day notice and end up in eviction court she would have to convince a judge that you were a tenant at will and you would have to convince the judge that you were a periodic tenant for whom a 30 day notice is required.

What "cause" did she put in the notice?

xylene

You need to
I established residency here with someone who said I could stay here until I got myself together to get my own place.
You have established local residency, now it is time to leave, as you have your things together.

Let's be honest, it is over, there nothing to adjudicate, and that's it.

Consider yoursel very lucky to have had a place to stay for under 100 bucks a month.

You've worn out your welcome, and that's it.

Do you think you'll be anything but legally forced out with an eviction on your record?

Don't be bitter, it's over. No one has wronged you here.

Tacos

For the purpose of the arrangement that you have with her, she is your landlord and you are her tenant. So putting her name on the form where it says landlord is correct. Whatever rules she is breaking is between her and the housing authority. It doesn't change her statutory obligations to you as your landlord.

Unfortunately for you, if you are a "tenant at will" the 5 day notice is proper.

See NRS 40.251:

I don't know what the details of your arrangement are. Obviously nothing in writing so it would be difficult to prove the who's who and the what's what.

If you want to ignore the 5 day notice and end up in eviction court she would have to convince a judge that you were a tenant at will and you would have to convince the judge that you were a periodic tenant for whom a 30 day notice is required.

See NRS 40.251:

Did not put anything in the notice, on Wednesday I give her $200 , And then on Thursday she had told me the 25th but then gave me this type of notice

Eekamouse

Nevada**

I established residency here with someone who said I could stay here until I got myself together to get my own place. She lives in Low income housing she’s not supposed to have anyone else here, a guest can only stay here so many days and I’ve been here two months, I got my first check and gave her $200 because that’s what was agreed when I first moved in here.
The following day she told me she wanted me out by the 25th and the next thing you know she calls the police because I refuse to give her the key. Believes that there was nothing they could do because I’ve established residency to give me a key and I’ve been here for two months.
when I got home today April 12 she served Me With the five-day know cause notice to quit.
now she put her signature where it supposed to be the landlords name, she informed me that she had gone to the courthouse and they told her what to do .
isn’t the landlord supposed to serve me? Because I’ve been living here with her permission and she’s also most likely breaking the lease of the housing.
Was this a proper form that you gave me? I’m still going to head down to legal aid on Monday
So she did you a huge favor by allowing you to stay with her for two months and you want to pay her back by trying to get her in trouble with her landlord? Move out, you ungrateful, vengeful jerk. Stop looking to hurt her living situation because she stupidly tried to help you out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">