• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My exhusband passed away the car is in my name & his new wife -widow wont give it back.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Right - the point is that she might be paying for a rusted hulk. I doubt that's the case, but it's worth mentioning.

Yep-yep.
I see no legal reason why LostCar should have to pay $15,000 (or anything) to retrieve her car, regardless of its condition, absent a previously-made agreement to pay for storage.

I think the widow probably wanted to sell the car after her husband's death and found she couldn't without the title.

LdiJ

Right - the point is that she might be paying for a rusted hulk. I doubt that's the case, but it's worth mentioning.

Yep-yep.
I doubt its a rusted hulk, the widow wouldn't want the title if it was. The widow would just be demanding that she retrieve her property.

quincy

It is an OLD British car. There is a very good chance it is a rusted POS.
Classic car collectors are willing to invest a lot of money into restoring even rusted-out "POSs."

It really depends on the car. LostCar said her model was rare.

You should visit Detroit on August 19 for the Woodward Dream Cruise. It is an annual free event with classic car owners from around the world "cruising" the area to show off their cars.

Last edited:

xylene

The ex 'permitted' the OP to store the car there, so any claim of 'storage fees' going back 30 years is bunk.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Or an argument can be made that the ex ABANDONED the car as in thirty years she never attempted to retrieve it.

PayrollHRGuy

Classic car collectors are willing to invest a lot of money into restoring even rusted-out "POSs."

It really depends on the car. LostCar said her model was rare.

You should visit Detroit on August 19 for the Woodward Dream Cruise. It is an annual free event with classic car owners from around the world "cruising" the area to show off their cars.

Well aware of that. My point was in response to LdiJ's that it wasn't likely. If this car has been sitting for 30 years it isn't just possible that is a POS it is a likelihood.

LdiJ

Well aware of that. My point was in response to LdiJ's that it wasn't likely. If this car has been sitting for 30 years it isn't just possible that is a POS it is a likelihood.
My reason for saying what I did is because the widow was asking for either the title or 15k. Nobody does that unless they think its valuable, and its not very likely that someone would ask for the title or 15k, if they thought something was a POS rust bucket.

PayrollHRGuy

My reason for saying what I did is because the widow was asking for either the title or 15k. Nobody does that unless they think its valuable, and its not very likely that someone would ask for the title or 15k, if they thought something was a POS rust bucket.
The person holding the car won't even let the OP see the car without the OP handing over the title or the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">