• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What re my rights with no contract (Florida)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Florida
I entered into a sublease for business pending a written agreement. 5 Months later we still don't have one and things were not working out. Now they have asked me to leave and sign a separation agreement. But they are claiming we owe rent from before we were there and asking for money for things that they did to improve the space and were not our decision. With no original agreement why should I sign the separation agreement? What are my rights? Can they come after me for this money I do not owe?

adjusterjack

Your title says "no contract." Well, you don't have to sign a contract to have a contract. An oral contract is just as enforceable as a written one, it's just more difficult to prove the terms. At the very least you had an oral contract to pay $X per month rent and occupy the premises.

With no original agreement why should I sign the separation agreement?
Beats me. Isn't that something you should be answering? Does the agreement work for you or against you?

Can they come after me for this money I do not owe?
Can they come after you? Sure.

Obviously, however, if you can prove you don't owe it you aren't going to have to pay it.

What are my rights?
You have lots of rights. Wouldn't do any good to try to list them all.

Florida has a separate statute on commercial tenancies. I suggest you read it:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0000-0099/0083/0083PARTIContentsIndex.html
Beyond that, it's up to you to reach some sort of resolution with your landlord that you can live with.

Lesson for the future: Don't rent some place without a written contract in place BEFORE you move in and hand over any money.

Litigator22

I entered into a sublease for business pending a written agreement. 5 Months later we still don't have one and things were not working out. Now they have asked me to leave and sign a separation agreement. But they are claiming we owe rent from before we were there and asking for money for things that they did to improve the space and were not our decision. With no original agreement why should I sign the separation agreement? What are my rights? Can they come after me for this money I do not owe?
A "separation agreement"? What sort of nitwits are you dealing with? (Or is that your choice of adjectives?) Assuming they get credit for the odd labeling, what are their intentions if you don't agree to a separation? Sue you in family court?

Whatever, don't sign nothing!~ At least not before you have fully reviewed - in complete detail - these freaky events, claims and demands and your personal wishes with your lawyer. Only then will you learn what you can and cannot do. It ain't going to happen here. Not with your less than enlightening narrative.

In the meantime do not admit that you entered into anything with anyone? Whether you did or not will be for your lawyer to say.

Lisa Helen

There should have been a written agreement . How did you pay for the rent for 5 months? If it was via check you can take that as a proof. I would suggest to hire a lawyer .And don't sign anything.

quincy

There should have been a written agreement . How did you pay for the rent for 5 months? If it was via check you can take that as a proof. I would suggest to hire a lawyer .And don't sign anything.
The 5 months of rent was not the stated problem. The problem is that the landlord wants additional money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">