• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend in Morocco renewed his green card but still 8 months later still waiting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

violas

True, but to get a green card you apply for it while in the US. So my question was, 11 years ago what sort of visa did the friend have to get into the US in the first place?
Sorry I don't know what kind of visa he had 11 years ago to come to the USA

violas

Since OP has not bothered to provide essential information, either the question has been answered another way or it really was not that important after all. BTW, Morocco is a high fraud country and posters on other forums indicate difficulties obtaining immigrant visas and green cards.
Sorry I did not respond in a timely matter.

violas

Thanks to all for your comments. Would his hiring a immigration lawyer in Morocco help him out in this matter?

t74

Marriage to a US citizen is one of the most straight forward ways to a green card. I assume he is single or if married is to other than a US citizen. If he is single and you are a US citizen interested in marriage to him, you can sponsor his as a fiance before marriage or as a spouse after marriage. However, remember that marriage simply for a green card is fraud. Be prepared top prove a legitimate romantic relationship.

His long absence shows abandonment of the green card. No lawyer will just be able to get it back if it is determined to be abandoned. He can, of course, consult one.

I am concerned about your involvement in this. I hope this is not a person you met online.

FlyingRon

If he had stayed in the country, all he'd have to do is show that he had a bona fide marriage at the outset. However, as you were told earlier in this thread, being out of the US for 11 years (hell six months is enough if you don't take the proper steps to maintain resident status), he's going to start over. If he's not got any basis to get permanent resident status (and he no longer has the marriage to the US citizen to use), his chances are pretty m much non-existent. He'd be hard pressed to get even a visitor visa right now.

violas

Marriage to a US citizen is one of the most straight forward ways to a green card. I assume he is single or if married is to other than a US citizen. If he is single and you are a US citizen interested in marriage to him, you can sponsor his as a fiance before marriage or as a spouse after marriage. However, remember that marriage simply for a green card is fraud. Be prepared top prove a legitimate romantic relationship.

His long absence shows abandonment of the green card. No lawyer will just be able to get it back if it is determined to be abandoned. He can, of course, consult one.

I am concerned about your involvement in this. I hope this is not a person you met online.
Actually, he is my ex-husband. We are still romantically involved. We are older and I do not want to get married because I would then be responsible for him financially. I am wondering how long he would have to be married if we were to marry before he could get a divorce but still keep his green card? Thanks

t74

In other words, you want to commit immigration fraud. No one on this forum will advise you on how to do so. See an attorney.

BTW, even if you divorced, you are responsible for 10 years based on the affidavit of support. Some immigrants have been awarded financial support from their sponsors. Then there is the issue of alimony in a divorce. If you want to be romantically involved, move to his country. A US citizen is free to live anywhere.

Last edited:

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Actually, he is my ex-husband. We are still romantically involved. We are older and I do not want to get married because I would then be responsible for him financially. I am wondering how long he would have to be married if we were to marry before he could get a divorce but still keep his green card? Thanks
Just out of curiousity, why did you divorce?

Why are you still romantically involved?

If you're not into being married, then don't get married. Marrying given the new information here, would raise many red flags with USCIS. You will be asked the questions I posited here and many more, should you remarry your ex-husband and apply for a green card.

violas

We divorced because he was sometimes irresponsible with his personal bills and I got a few calls from creditors looking for him. The 2nd reason is because he spent too much time in Morocco. 7 months ago on facebook, he offered to pay for my ticket for a 3 week vacation in Morocco. I assumed he just wanted to be "friends" However, it was the happiest 3 weeks of my life. We had a wonderful time and I felt that we were truly "soulmates" so that is how we got romantically involved again. That being said, I do not want to marry him because I don't want to be legally responsible for his debts.

FlyingRon

You don't seem to understand what marriage is. You're going to have a hard time convincing the INS that even if you married him that they should allow him permanent residence again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">