• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend in Morocco renewed his green card but still 8 months later still waiting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

violas

What is the name of your state?Florida. I have an old friend in Morocco. He left the USA for 11 years and now wants to return to the USA. He said he applied to renew his green card 8 months ago and still no response. In the past, he did have Hepatitis C. He received medical care for the Hepatitis C and no longer has hepatitis C. Could his past problem with hepatitis C be the reason why he has not received his green card? Or is it normal to have to wait 8 months or more to receive his green card? Thanks

Mass_Shyster

After 11 years, I suspect your friends as been deemed to have abandoned his green card.

See https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/maintaining-permanent-residence

Abandoning Permanent Resident Status
You may also lose your permanent resident status by intentionally abandoning it. You may be found to have abandoned your status if you:

• Move to another country, intending to live there permanently.
  • Remain outside of the United States for an extended period of time, unless you intended this to be a temporary absence, as shown by:
    • The reason for your trip;
    • How long you intended to be absent from the United States;
    • Any other circumstances of your absence; and
    • Any events that may have prolonged your absence.
    • Note: Obtaining a re-entry permit from USCIS before you leave, or a returning resident visa (SB-1) from a U.S. consulate while abroad, may assist you in showing that you intended only a temporary absence.
  • Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the United States for any period.
  • Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your U.S. tax returns.

violas

Wow!!! So since he has been gone so long he may have to start the green card process all over again? Is that correct?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Wow!!! So since he has been gone so long he may have to start the green card process all over again? Is that correct?
Yes. That is correct. If you abandon your green card, you have start again at square 1. Being absent from the US for over a decade qualifies as a "prolonged period of time."

What is the name of your state?Florida. I have an old friend in Morocco. He left the USA for 11 years and now wants to return to the USA. He said he applied to renew his green card 8 months ago and still no response. In the past, he did have Hepatitis C. He received medical care for the Hepatitis C and no longer has hepatitis C. Could his past problem with hepatitis C be the reason why he has not received his green card? Or is it normal to have to wait 8 months or more to receive his green card? Thanks
Between 8.5 and 12.3 months. and as others have said, he will need to apply again.
https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/historic-ptWhat type of visa did he have the last time he was in the US?

t74

There are a limited number of ways to a green card. A person cannot just apply for one even if he/she had one in the past. If there is no qualifying sponsor for a family reunification green card or a employer sponsor for a green card via work, a person is limited to the diversity visa lottery if the qualifications can be met or a limited number of less common paths.

Someone who has a green card doesn't have/need a visa. What visa a person had when they entered the US before they got the green card generally wouldn't matter after they got the green card.
True, but to get a green card you apply for it while in the US. So my question was, 11 years ago what sort of visa did the friend have to get into the US in the first place?

FlyingRon

True, but to get a green card you apply for it while in the US
Huh, no. Absolutely not true. If you have legally entered the US, you can apply for adjustment of status. If you are not in the US, then you can apply and it's processed through the embassy/consulate in the country where they are.
So my question was, 11 years ago what sort of visa did the friend have to get into the US in the first place?
This is irrelevant even if they did adjust status while here. The question, as t74 put it, is under what case was the green card (issuance or adjustment of status) originally issued?

T74 is only incorrect in there are a few more conditions (refugee/asylee, etc...) that can result in a green card.

After 11 years, he can guarantee that he's not just getting it "renewed." His application probably has been tossed into the circular file. Green cards are not a convenience for people who just want to forgo getting visas. They are for those in intend to permanently reside in the US.

Last edited:
Huh, no. Absolutely not true. If you have legally entered the US, you can apply for adjustment of status. If you are not in the US, then you can apply and it's processed through the embassy/consulate in the country where they are.

This is irrelevant even if they did adjust status while here. The question, as t74 put it, is under what case was the green card (issuance or adjustment of status) originally issued?

T74 is only incorrect in there are a few more conditions (refugee/asylee, etc...) that can result in a green card.

After 11 years, he can guarantee that he's not just getting it "renewed." His application probably has been tossed into the circular file. Green cards are not a convenience for people who just want to forgo getting visas. They are for those in intend to permanently reside in the US.
The relevance is; does that original visa category from 11 years ago still exist?
As for getting the green card, I know, it took a few years and many interesting stories before I got mine. As a side note they are not green and for the 6 years I had mine nobody ever asked to see it!

t74

Since OP has not bothered to provide essential information, either the question has been answered another way or it really was not that important after all. BTW, Morocco is a high fraud country and posters on other forums indicate difficulties obtaining immigrant visas and green cards.

FlyingRon

The relevance is; does that original visa category from 11 years ago still exist?
There's no relevance. The VISA he entered on is quite possibly independent of the basis on which he applied for the adjustment of status resulting in permanent residency. People enter on K-1 visas and that means nothing if they don't subsequently get married and apply for residency on the basis of being married to a citizen. I have had quite a few people enter on F-1, who I've sponsored for employment based cards subsequently. Similarly, some have entered on their husbands status (H4, F2, etc...) and were able to adjust based on other reasons.

Morocco is a high fraud country and posters on other forums indicate difficulties obtaining immigrant visas and green cards.
Further, the poster hasn't indicated any reason why a green card would be issued. Anybody can APPLY for one. If you don't have a valid justification, the application goes nowhere and you wasted the filing fee.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">