• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get a refund if car specifications are wrong?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I've bought a car from a dealership. The purchase document says the car has CVT transmission. 6 months after I had a problem with transmission and a mechanic that looked at it told me the transmission is not even CVT. Can I demand the dealership to return me the money I paid for the car? Can I also claim the money I spent on repairs after the purchase?

adjusterjack

Used car? I'm guessing yes.

You could have run the VIN on the internet to get the features and equipment and verify whether it was CVT or not.

I don't think you'll get anywhere looking for anything from the dealer.

Used car? I'm guessing yes.

You could have run the VIN on the internet to get the features and equipment and verify whether it was CVT or not.

I don't think you'll get anywhere looking for anything from the dealer.
VIN check says it's CVT. The same is specified in the bill of sale. But the mechanic says it's a regular gear transmission. Do you think I could win a lawsuit based on that? Isn't it fraud?

Last edited:

justalayman

I’m guessing somebody replaced the transmission at some point.

I have to guess you’re not much of a car person. There is a huge difference between driving a cvt and “regular” automatic transmission.

I’m guessing somebody replaced the transmission at some point.

I have to guess you’re not much of a car person. There is a huge difference between driving a cvt and “regular” automatic transmission.
That's true, I've never driven a CVT one and I have no clue how it should feel like.

PayrollHRGuy

Or the mechanic is clueless. The 2013 Versa 1.6 SV, SL & S Plus all had CVT.

Nissan had problems with several CVTs between 2012 and later so you may well be better off.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
VIN check says it's CVT. The same is specified in the bill of sale. But the mechanic says it's a regular gear transmission.
Are you certain that the mechanic actually is knowledgeable about it? I mean, he or she may well be right, but I wouldn't simply assume that. After all, in every profession and occupation there are some who really don't know their stuff. You might first want to have another mechanic look at it to verify that to be absolutely sure of it.

Isn't it fraud?
It is fraud if the seller actually knew it wasn't a CVT transmission at the time the seller made the representation to you. If you claim fraud, you'd have to prove that the seller knew what kind of transmission was there.

You can allege breach of contract and sue based on that. What you'd be entitled to there is the difference in the value between what your car is worth and what the same car with a CVT would be worth — that's what would allow you to get what you bargained for, a car with a CVT transmission.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">