• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repo by Dealer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NotTheRepoMan

What is the name of your state? Florida

I am the owner of a small used car lot. When a client defaults on their account, and qualifies for repossession. Am I required to hire a repossession service to get the vehicle, or can I pick it up myself? I have each client sign a Right of Repossession Agreement stating I, "have the right to take the vehicle back without the necessity of a court order or any judicial process." I'm not concerned when it comes to the terms of the client contract, I am wondering if there is any Florida Law that prevents me from doing this. Thank you all for any and all advice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Florida

I am the owner of a small used car lot. When a client defaults on their account, and qualifies for repossession. Am I required to hire a repossession service to get the vehicle, or can I pick it up myself? I have each client sign a Right of Repossession Agreement stating I, "have the right to take the vehicle back without the necessity of a court order or any judicial process." I'm not concerned when it comes to the terms of the client contract, I am wondering if there is any Florida Law that prevents me from doing this. Thank you all for any and all advice.
This is important enough that you ought to seek an opinion (in writing, preferably) from a local attorney.

I'm very surprised that you do not already have an attorney on a retainer, especially in such a litigious industry as used car sales.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">