• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reporting roommate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chelseas

CA

Hello everyone, I wrote here before. Please let me know if I should paste my old post here. We are 4 tenants total in a house and we are not under rent control. Long story short, the 3 of us have been writing the Manager our individual complaints and we all agree we wanted our drug-using, disruptive roommate with sticky hands kicked out. It's been months and no real support from LL, no change. Previous tenants before have also made reports, to no avail. Our last resort, we know the roommate receives welfare for Crohn's disease and we do not feel she deserves it. We are all hard-workers here and having to live with this lazy-ass, drug-using, chain-smoking (a huge trigger for Crohn's disease), psychotic welfare queen is insulting and disgusting. We are strongly considering reporting her to welfare/disability assistance but we need further advice. What would be the repercussions...will it bite us in the ass legally in the long run, even if we report anonymously? We don't know if the illegal drug is actually prescribed. We're not sure which one but it's one of those that you can snort and leave powder on nose. We don't care about morals anymore...we want her OUT.

Thank you very much for your help.

PS. the 3 of us do not want to be the ones to leave like the previous tenants did because of her.

Last edited:

Someone at some time diagnosed the Crohn's disease, and unless you are a professional medical type of person that diagnosis takes precedent over your personal opinion whether she deserves the welfare payments.
As for being a welfare queen, don't blame your roommate, blame the system that allows her to get the welfare in the first place.
If I had the option of working hard for a living or simply being given money to sit around all day, it would be couch time for me.
But if you feel that strongly you can voice your concerns but stay anonymous. Although if they investigate and find that she should not be receiving welfare for the disease doesn't automatically means she will be leaving.
http://www.cdss.ca.gov/fraud/res/pdf/CountyFraudReferralPublicList.pdf

Gail in Georgia

" Our last resort, we know the roommate receives welfare for Crohn's disease and we do not feel she deserves it. "

Surprise! Who legally cares what you guys feel regarding whether your roommate deserves welfare for a medical condition?

Gail

chelseas

Someone at some time diagnosed the Crohn's disease, and unless you are a professional medical type of person that diagnosis takes precedent over your personal opinion whether she deserves the welfare payments.
As for being a welfare queen, don't blame your roommate, blame the system that allows her to get the welfare in the first place.
If I had the option of working hard for a living or simply being given money to sit around all day, it would be couch time for me.
But if you feel that strongly you can voice your concerns but stay anonymous. Although if they investigate and find that she should not be receiving welfare for the disease doesn't automatically means she will be leaving.
http://www.cdss.ca.gov/fraud/res/pdf/CountyFraudReferralPublicList.pdf
Thanks so much for the reply. She will for sure suspect it's one of us. What would be the possible outcomes legally?

Mass_Shyster

Thanks so much for the reply. She will for sure suspect it's one of us. What would be the possible outcomes legally?
Legally? There is nothing she can do legally if you report suspected criminal activity. I'd me more concerned with what illegal actions she may take.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Because reporting someone for what you perceive to be welfare fraud may be an annoyance to her, but will not get her out.

You still have not filed a police report for anything...

Things that you can do:
1) When items are stolen, report the theft... to the police. Not to the landlord.
2) When dangerous behavior is going on in the dwelling - manic person screaming and throwing stuff, for example - call 911.
3) If illegal behavior is going on, report it to the police.
4) If she damages your property, take her to small claims court.
5) If she engages in behavior that you find threatening to your person, get a TRO.

By the way, a restraining order would be a way to get her out...

But frankly, why don't you move?

Just Blue

Because reporting someone for what you perceive to be welfare fraud may be an annoyance to her, but will not get her out.

Things that you can do:
1) When items are stolen, report the theft... to the police. Not to the landlord.
2) When dangerous behavior is going on in the dwelling - manic person screaming and throwing stuff, for example - call 911.
5) If she engages in behavior that you find threatening to your person, get a TRO.

I know know the answer to that question....Principle!! ;)

chelseas

Things that you can do:

Thanks for replying! If suspected drug use, which as mentioned seen her with powder on her nose, and anyone can tell someone who's high, and we're still not sure if this is prescribed and part of her medz, can that be a good reason to report to police? Also, when i sometimes go in the kitchen and she happens to be there, she starts banging things, is that good enough for a TRO?

Just Blue

Thanks for replying! If suspected drug use, which as mentioned seen her with powder on her nose, and anyone can tell someone who's high, and we're still not sure if this is prescribed and part of her medz, can that be a good reason to report to police? Also, when i sometimes go in the kitchen and she happens to be there, she starts banging things, is that good enough for a TRO?
1. No.
2. No.

Just Blue

So, if we go ahead and report welfare fraud, please confirm there won't be any chance of legal repercussions like slander, etc? Thank you
I can't do that. The rm wouldn't get anywhere filing a criminal complaint but she could file a civil suit. And, frankly, as she is Dx'ed with CD she isn't committing welfare fraud. Your' personal opinion on the validity of her receiving welfare benefits is irrelevant.

Maybe a new approach is needed.

In some States the landlord can have their property confiscated if they are knowingly renting to someone selling drugs.

If she selling? Do you have proof?

Write a letter (send it certified) to the landlord. Explain that the person must be removed pronto. A owner can lose their property because they knowingly rent to someone who is selling. Tell the owner...this is now the proof that they know this is going on on their property, because this letter just told them.

Check your state laws. Maybe someone here know the laws on this for your state.

Still and all, I do wonder why the three of you don’t just more out on her?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">