• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I Recoup Any Of These Moving Expenses?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ColtBoy3

What is the name of your state?
Washington

I was told by a property management company in WA state that I'd have the keys to a property between the 17th and 25th of July. I was required to give notice at my current residence in order to be approved for the new place. I was then told that due to a drawn-out eviction process of the current tenant, that I'd now have to wait until the first week of August for move in. I now have to pay for an extra Uhaul, a storage unit, and a week's rent at a hotel or motel. Is the property management company liable for any of these incured costs as a result of pushing back my move-in date?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state?
Washington

I was told by a property management company in WA state that I'd have the keys to a property between the 17th and 25th of July. I was required to give notice at my current residence in order to be approved for the new place. I was then told that due to a drawn-out eviction process of the current tenant, that I'd now have to wait until the first week of August for move in. I now have to pay for an extra Uhaul, a storage unit, and a week's rent at a hotel or motel. Is the property management company liable for any of these incured costs as a result of pushing back my move-in date?
Have you already signed the lease at your new place?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Then you're likely out of luck because you had no firm move-in date in the first place.

adjusterjack

My take is that you NEVER hand over any money or sign anything unless the place you are going to rent is ready for move in, clean and everything working, and you get the keys on the spot.

One more thing.

"I was told" = the most dangerous phrase in the English language.

ColtBoy3

My take is that you NEVER hand over any money or sign anything unless the place you are going to rent is ready for move in, clean and everything working, and you get the keys on the spot.

One more thing.

"I was told" = the most dangerous phrase in the English language.
Yes I agree, but easier said than done when looking for a rental here in Clark County.

Elaborate on "I was told," please.

gryndor

Elaborate on "I was told," please.
This is dangerous because there is no enforcement to it. You likely have nothing in writing or documented in any way. If you have a written contract, that trumps all the verbal agreements and understandings and I-was-tolds that you have. If you don't have a written contract, "I was told" is still unenforceable/unprovable.

ColtBoy3

Ok. Well I should clarify then. I have a signed Holding Deposit Agreement that has written on it, "Move-In Date/week currently scheduled to be: 7/17-7/24." So it is in writing, but again, it isn't a lease, it's a holding deposit agreement without a firm move-in date.

Is the company allowed to falsely-advertise a property as being available at a certain date? Is there not a requirement to show a property's availability after all worse case scenarios factored in, e.g. lengthy evictions.

quincy

"Move-In Date/week currently scheduled to be: 7/17-7/24." ... Is there not a requirement to show a property's availability after all worse case scenarios factored in, e.g. lengthy evictions.
No. There is no requirement to consider all possible worst case scenarios. Natural disasters, deaths, fires ... there are all sorts of possibilities that can delay a property's availability. Life is a bit unpredictable.

FarmerJ

Do not be surprised if it takes the LL even longer to get this tenant out. The LL took a chance when they put this unit on the market that the tenant would indeed move out on time , Your free to ask the LL to refund your money so you can find a different place to move into but don't be shocked if the LL says no.

quincy

Thanks, Quincy.
You're welcome, ColtBoy3. I appreciate the thanks.

You can always ask the property management company if they will give you a discount or a credit of some sort to compensate you for your inconvenience and extra expenses. You might get one. Stranger things have happened. :)

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">