• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Insurance for step child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crumb

What is the name of your state? Utah

My wife passed away recently. Her 16yo daughter was always on our health insurance. She lived with us 50% of the time when my wife was alive but now she mostly lives with her dad but stays maybe once a week or less. Can she still be on my health insurance or do I need to remove her?

PayrollHRGuy

What is the name of your state? Utah

My wife passed away recently. Her 16yo daughter was always on our health insurance. She lived with us 50% of the time when my wife was alive but now she mostly lives with her dad but stays maybe once a week or less. Can she still be on my health insurance or do I need to remove her?
I assume this is insurance through your employer? If so you need to talk to your HR or benefits department. If the insurance was part of a custody order via the court that order no longer has standing.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That'll depend entirely on your employer's specific plan definitions. They will have a written description of what defines an eligible dependent. If she still meets that definition you can still cover her - if she does not you can't. It is possible that because your marriage ended not in divorce but because of death, she is still eligible. I can't say for certain without seeing your plan doc. Talk to your HR or Benefits office - they will be able to say for certain.

I'm sorry for your loss.

crumb

I will contact HR. Thank you.
I am not sure if she is still on medicare. Her dad owns a small business and does quite well. I don't really know how he has been on medicare in the past even. None of my business I guess.
Step daughter is seemingly doing quite well. Her "other family" is great and there is a lot of love between her and her step mom. It is still early but so far so good.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
IMO, you really need to keep the child's parent in the loop on this matter. I'm surprised you haven't discussed this with her father yet.

Zigner

I will talk to him but I would just like to know all the facts first.
The problem is that you don't have all of the information you need in order for us to provide valid answers. We don't provide the "facts", you do.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You really need to talk to HR or Benefits first. If you still have questions after that, don't hesitate to come back.

I don't think it's unreasonable for the OP to want to know whether he can continue to cover his stepdaughter before he talks to the father. It's a pertinent fact for them to be discussing.

Zigner

You really need to talk to HR or Benefits first. If you still have questions after that, don't hesitate to come back.

I don't think it's unreasonable for the OP to want to know whether he can continue to cover his stepdaughter before he talks to the father. It's a pertinent fact for them to be discussing.
What if stepdaughter is now covered by dad?

crumb

It looks like I can still cover her under my employer plan.
Whether her dad can cover her with medicare or otherwise I think it is always beneficial to keep both. It doesn't cost me any more money since I cover my own kids already.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What if stepdaughter is now covered by dad?
All the more reason for the OP to know what his options are. But it's unlikely, since to add the daughter mid-year Dad would have to have a letter from Step-dad's employer or insurer stating that she is no longer covered. Come on, Zig, you know the basics better than that.

izzie02

It may change which insurance is primary and how insurance is coordinated if another plan is involved, even Medicaid. I would also inform the other plan, if any, about the change in status.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">