• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mobile Home Insurance Claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kthomp66

What is the name of your state? OH

Hi all.
So let’s just get the rookie mistakes out of the way first:
I bought a mobile home August 2018. It was refurbished (black mold, all walls and floors were ripped out and rebuilt), and the park assured us everything was inspected and running. Due to a time crunch (previous landlord had to foreclose our rental, so this was our last-ditch effort) and my own stupidity (yes, i own it, it was tremendously stupid), I took their word and didn’t have anything inspected.
This past Tuesday, our water tank had a line break, and it emptied out into our back bedroom and into the next three rooms forward (laundry, bathroom, third bedroom, and partially in the hallway). We started an insurance claim, and now we’re waiting for the adjuster. He’s set to come on Thursday, so I’m trying to figure out what to expect. No, this is not a “who can I sue” question.
We had the insurance-preferred restoration company come out and start the bandaid work, which the guy said runs most people without coverage $3k-$4k, and I’m terrified I’m going to have to file bankruptcy.
The adjuster said he’d come to inspect the break and, I’m assuming, make sure it wasn’t a slow leak that eventually caused a rupture. That i’m certain they won’t pay for.
My concern is that the tank was from 2006. The plumber that installed the new tank reused one of the old pipes, so they weren’t in that bad of condition; but the one that burst was pretty corroded on the outside of it. The burst happened right on the connection seam between two lines, though, and there weren’t any cracks anywhere that we could find. There was also never any signs in the room of water coming out or moisture in the floor/ceiling/closet space.
So the short of it, what should I expect? Does it sound like I’m going to be filing bankruptcy in the near future, or is there a good chance it’ll be deemed a sudden loss?
Also, will I need to show them in my initial agreement that an inspection was done by the park showing the tank cleared as usable, or is that paperwork a $10,000 piece of toilet paper?
One final question/thought: The same day the water tank burst, the park had to turn the water pressure to half due to a main break on another lot. My plumber and another told me that it is very possible the sudden pressure decrease/increase could have caused the break in my line. Again, this isn’t me trying to blame the park. I’m just wondering if I should tell the adjuster about this, or keep it to myself. I’m worried if I tell them about it, that they’ll tell me i’m SOL and to take the loss up with the park.
TIA, and let me know if you need more details. My apologies for the length.

Last edited:

adjusterjack

the park assured us everything was inspected and running.
That statement is meaningless and is not a warranty or guarantee. And I'll wager that your purchase contract was "As Is."

Never trust anybody who is selling you something.

I took their word and didn’t have anything inspected.
That, of course, means that there is no

take the loss up with the park.
It's on you.

I’m just wondering if I should tell the adjuster about this
My suggestion is keep your mouth shut about your conjecture or anybody else's and don't volunteer any documents. Let the adjuster do his inspection and draw his own conclusions. There is no way to speculate as to the outcome. You'll just have to wait and see how it goes. If the claim is paid, fine. If it's denied, you come back to this thread and discuss what to do next. "What if" questions are a waste of time at this point.

The adjuster said he’d come to inspect the break and, I’m assuming, make sure it wasn’t a slow leak that eventually caused a rupture. That i’m certain they won’t pay for.
A broken pipe is a broken pipe. I've paid lots of those kinds of water damage. But I don't speak for thousands of other insurance companies so, what I would've done is not helpful to you.

All you can do is wait for a decision.

kthomp66

Thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully the adjuster has mercy on me then. I’ll pop in next week with an update pending the answer.

I figured since the home was used that nothing was warrantied; and again, the lack of inspection on my own end was indeed a rookie and stupid mistake i won’t ever make again. first time home buyers remorse is in full force lol.

adjusterjack

Hopefully the adjuster has mercy on me then
He would have to do what the policy says.

A sample policy that I am quoting from might or might not have similar provisions as yours.

INSURED PERILS
You are insured against all risks of direct physical loss or damage to the property described in Coverage’s "A", "B" AND "C" except we do not insure loss or damage as a result of:
2. Wear and tear, deterioration, defect, faulty design or mechanical breakdown, rust or corrosion, extremes of temperature, wet or dry rot or mold and contamination except that resulting damage by Specified Peril is covered.
In my sample one of the specified perils is:

Rupture of heating, plumbing, sprinkler or air-conditioning system or escape of water from such a system

http://www.westernunderwriting.com/pdf/Mobile Home - Comprehensive form.pdf
My take on that is that the water damage would be covered even if your pipe broke due to any of the excluded causes.

Compare your policy.

adjusterjack

I would like to know if the original water lines are gray plastic ?
Defective gray polybutylene pipe was used in homes for many years resulting in a class action lawsuit that provided compensation for victims who had to repipe their homes. Unfortunately, the time for obtaining compensation ended many years ago.

Besides, the type of pipe has no bearing on the insurance coverage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">