• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I purchase firearms from a FFL dealer in Michigan with a OWVI 1st Offense Conviction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Can I purchase firearms from a FFL dealer in Michigan with a OWVI 1st Offense Conviction?
I was convicted for my first offense for Operating While Visibly Impaired last June. I have served my probation and paid all my fines and I am currently waiting for my driving restrictions to lift in November, next month. From what I could research I wouldn't be able to apply for a CCW for 3 years 5 is for DUI I think starting from the conviction date. What I want to know is if I can purchase rifles, handguns, and ammunition from a FFL licensed dealer. Other than this conviction my record is clean and I have no felonies. There's a lot of information about DUI and assault misdemeanors that add more heavier restrictions, but I couldn't find much in terms of having 'just' an OWVI. I wouldn't plan on purchasing a firearm for at least a year to give my court responsibilities time to be done with and to be financially situated but I'm hoping I'm not restricted from owning and purchasing firearms in the future. Thank you.

FlyingRon

If it was an alcohol-related impairment, it shouldn't be disqualifying. The list of Federal rules (which appear to not be superseded by anything in Michigan), cover only illegal drugs, criminal charges with potential punishments of more than one year, or domestic violence convictions.

If there was drugs involved, it's a different story.

If it was an alcohol-related impairment, it shouldn't be disqualifying. The list of Federal rules (which appear to not be superseded by anything in Michigan), cover only illegal drugs, criminal charges with potential punishments of more than one year, or domestic violence convictions.

If there was drugs involved, it's a different story.
I should have mentioned that marijuana was involved. I was convicted under mixed substances. I blew under the limit for alcohol but I had THC in my system and I had my blood drawn on arrest.

FlyingRon

You should consult an attorney that specializes in gun rights. As a user of illicit drugs possession of any firearm (not just purchasing one) may be a felony (under federal law):

18 USC 922 (g) : (3)who is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802));

Nothing in Michigan law precludes it other than it's illegal to possess a gun WHILE under the influence.

But the Federal law will get you.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">